Chapter 20

I woke up around 2am from a weird dream and a headache. I slowly tried to crawl out of my bed and walked to the bathroom down the hall.

I looked at myself in the mirror above the sink and fixed my bed head, silently judging my sleepily appearance. I sighed and turned on the sink and began to splash my face with cold water.

As I looked up at the mirror again I noticed a figure standing behind me. I screamed and turned around looking at the person behind me with a creepy look on his face.

"Andrew?" I recognized the person's face. "H-how did you get in here?"

Andrew began to laugh creepy and evil like. "Don't worry about. Just don't worry about it."

He had something behind his back and I didn't wanna guess what he was hiding. I ran to the bathroom door and tried to open it but it couldn't open. The lock thing wasn't turned and I was getting frustrated and scared.

"There's no escape." Andrew hissed as he pulled out a really big and sharp knife from behind his back.

"Get away from me!" I yelled and leaned against the door.

Andrew's evil smile grew bigger as he began to raise the knife and stab me on my side as I screamed for help.

/////////////////////////////////////////

I jolted up from my bed and breathed heavily. I checked my side to see if it was actually bleeding and saw nothing.

"Oh it was just a dream." I sighed. I looked over and saw Ricky still sound asleep. I got up from my bed to his bed and began to shake him lightly.

"Ricky....Ricky." I whispered. He moaned and only moved his legs. "Richard." I whispered and shook him again.

"Mmm?" Ricky moaned opening his eyes.

"Hey, do you wanna sleep on my bed with me?"

Ricky looked confused. "Why?"

"Well, lets just say I had some pretty weird vivid images in my head and I need someone to comfort me."

Ricky chuckled and slowly got off his bed. "You had a bad dream or something?" He asked while yawning and stretching.

I shrugged looking at the floor. "Yeah."

"It's okay. I kinda had a bad dream too, but you woke me up from it." I smiled and walked back to my bed. Ricky looked at my twin sized bed. "I still don't understand why you want me to sleep with you."

"Just incase Andrew does actually come in our house and tries to kill me. You'll probably do something."

"Who's Andrew?"

"This boy at school."

"Does he actually try and kill you in real life?"

"Well no....I don't think so."

Ricky shook his head and laid down next to me. As I lay facing him, Ricky scooched closer to me wrapped his arm around my waist. I began to wrap my arm around him and quietly said, "Goodnight."

"It's technically morning so good morning." Ricky said back.

"Whatever." I whispered and slowly went back to sleep feeling safe and secure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Daddy said to wake up and get dressed because we're taking Dwayne to the doctor's office." I heard a high pitched voice announce.

"Mmm....what for?" I asked while stretching.

"I don't know." JD answered. "And why are y'all in bed together?"

"None of your business. Get out so we can change." Ricky said. JD made a face and walked out closing the door behind him. Ricky got off of my bed and walked to his side of the dresser. I just sat on the edge of my bed wondering what's wrong with me. "What's the matter?"

I jumped a little and looked at him. "Nothing. I'm just curious on why I have to go to the doctor's for."

"Maybe you need to get a hiv shot or something."

"I don't know, maybe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sitting here on a hospital bed with Mom waiting for the nurse, doctor or whoever to show up just makes me feel uneasy. I don't know what's gonna happen or why this is happening.

A lady finally walked in with a clipboard and a pen. "Hello I'm nurse Gretchen and I'll be starting you guys off today." She has a calm and pleasant voice, made me feel a little bit better. "In this first part of the diagnosis imma need you to fill out this little survey. Can you do that?"

I nodded my head. "Yes."

"Okay then. I'll be back in a few minutes." She said as she walked out.

Diagnosis? Am I being diagnosed with something? I don't wanna ask Mom she might say "It's a surprise" and irritate me. So I'm just going along with it and started filling out this survey:

•Do you have trouble getting out of bed and getting started in the morning? Sometimes
Are your moods generally worse in the morning or in the evening? Morning
How do you sleep?(rate 1-10) 7
Has there been a change in your sleep patterns? Yes actually
What does a typical day look like for you? It looks like a room full of strangers that I can't escape from
Has your daily routine change? A little
Do you enjoy the same things you once did? I don't think so
What, if anything, improves your mood? Sleep, food and video games
Do you have more trouble concentrating than usual? On certain things

I looked over my answers and......I honestly didn't know what to feel.

The nurse came back to pick up my survey. "The doctor will come back with the results." Then walked back out.

My heart dropped after she said results. Oh my fucking gosh what am I getting diagnosed with? An STD? Well I haven't been having sex so that's definitely a no. Maybe I have some sort of disease? I hope not. Maybe I have a learning disability like JD once did? Oh I hope hope hope not. 

A creek from the door woke me up from my thoughts and my heart began to race on what the doctor might say. "Hello my name is Dr. Houston." He shook Mom's hand. "Good morning young man." He greeted me and shook my hand. I looked at him nervously. "No need to be nervous buddy, it's nothing painful." He tried to calm me down.

"O-okay." I trembled quietly.

The moment of truth. What am I diagnosed with??

He looked at his clipboard and looked at Mom. "Okay, so the diagnosis says here that your son is diagnosed with major depressive disorder with melancholic features. Also known as melancholic depression."