Chapter 30

Ricky seemed to be doing just fine, he looked pretty active on the field.

But enough about that, I began to look around to see if Jacqueline is here again. I saw a familiar curly head by the concession stand and I waited til she turned around. When she finally turned around I finally knew it, it was my one and only. "Hey Mom, I'm about to go use the restroom."

"Okay." Mom said. "Oh when you come back buy me two Reese Cups." She handed me two dollars.

"Okay." I said and quickly walked down the bleachers. I decided to surprise her by walking to the porta-potty without her seeing me. As I got closer I covered her eyes with my hands. "Guess who?"

"Is that you Christopher?" Jacqueline guessed.

"I'm standing right here." I heard Chris's voice.

"Oh hi Christopher I didn't see you there." I greeted.

"Wassup Dwayne." Chris greeted back.

"Oh my gosh, Dwayne you're here." Jacqueline turned and hugged me tight.

"I just came to say hi, I can't be down here long." I said taking the two dollars out of my pocket.

"Want me to go to the concessions with you?" Jacqueline asked.

"Sure, I'm just buying two Reese Cups for my mom." All three of us went to the concessions and I ordered the candy while Jacqueline bought three drinks for us. "I wish I could stay longer but my mom might say something." I said and kissed Jacqueline. I walked back to the bleachers where my parents and brother were and handed the candy to Mom.

"Did you buy that drink with your own money?" Mom asked.

"Oh, no Jacqueline bought it for me." I answered sitting down.

"Who's Jacqueline?"

"She's Dwayne's girlfriend." JD quickly answered.

"Oh that's your girlfriend's name." Mom said. "Well that was nice of her to buy you something. You should buy her something back."

I then realized that she made me that 3D heart present for me and she bought me a drink. I think I should offer something back, I can't be selfish y'know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the game, Dad decided to go to Walmart to get a few things. This was my opportunity to find something for Jacqueline.

I checked my mini wallet and found my $15 allowance money from last week. "I'm gonna go buy something." I said to Mom.

"Okay, just meet us at the entrance when you're ready." She said and walked off.

As I walked I tried to figure out what Jacqueline likes. She does like to draw and make little projects, so maybe I can give her some type of art set. Good thinking, Dwayne.

I went to the crafting section of the store and look for the perfect art set for her. In the corner of my eye I saw a person walking by the aisle I was in then quickly walked back and looked at me. I couldn't see who it was cause I was too busy searching.

"Dwayne?" The voice called to see if it was me.

I kind of rolled my eyes and turned to see who it was. My eyes widened with surprise. "Andrew?"

"God, I didn't expect to see you here." Andrew said walking towards me.

"I obviously didn't either." I said standing a little uncomfortable.

Andrew looked at me and kind of blushed. "So, uh...what are you looking for?"

"Just looking for an art set for someone." I answered looking back at the selection.

"Oh." Andrew said and began to look at my head. "I always thought you had nice hair." He reached out to touch my curls and I backed away.

"Um please don't." I said.

"Sorry." Andrew looked down. I finally found a perfect art set and took it off the shelf. "So, you're about to go checkout now?"

"Um, yes. I only came just to buy a gift for someone." I said wanting to leave.

"Okay....I'll see ya around." Andrew walked away and I sighed loudly.

Why is he still crushing on me? This is so weird now. First he wanted to threaten my life, now he says that he likes boys too and now is googooing over me. Things just get weirder and weirder. Is this what middle school life is now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we finally got home and got ready for bed, I put the art set in my backpack and searched in my side of the dresser for something to wear in bed.

"Here's the bottled water you asked for." Ricky walked in sat the bottle on my nightstand.

"Thanks." I said while putting on my plain white shirt and Batman pajama pants. I walked to my bed, took two of my antidepressants and drunk a few sips of the water.

From the corner of my eye I saw Ricky slowly sitting on his bed. "Hey Dwayne?"

"Hm?" I looked over.

"Can I tell you something?"

I walked over to his bed and sat next to him. "Sure. You can tell me anything."

Ricky sighed and finally spoke. "You see, there's this girl that I'm cool with at school. Me and her have a lot in common and it seems like every time I'm around her I get this....weird feeling I think."

I smiled like I was a proud dad or something. "Aww, it sounds like you really like this girl."

Ricky began to blush. "I do. I really really do. I wanna shoot my shot but I'm afraid that imma get rejected."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "Look, don't be afraid of getting rejected. The only worse thing that she could say is no or I'm not interested. Just be yourself and don't be too nervous and she'll probably like you back."

Ricky smiled and hugged me. "Thanks for the advice."

"No problem little bro." I hugged back. I think the pills were kicking in pretty fast because I felt really drowsy. "I should get back to my bed before I pass out on your bed."

"Yeah," Ricky agreed, "I can see it in your eyes." I slowly got up and went to lay in my bed. "Don't forget to take your glasses off. The last time you slept with them on you broke them." He reminded me.

"I know. I know." I said and drifted off to sleep as Ricky got himself ready for bed.