Chapter 17

I woke up with a quiet announcement from Dad saying that our school district is having a teacher development day which means there's no school today.

Me and Ricky both sighed of relief. "That means y'all Grandma Vynette is gonna watch y'all until your Mom gets off of work."

"Oh." I quietly sighed. Dad closed the door and Ricky reached over to his mini bookshelf to read a book. "I don't know how you can read something this early in the morning." I said.

"I don't know either." Ricky said. "I guess it's just something I like to do."

"Sounds like a Ricky thing to say."

Ricky gave me a middle finger and I gave two back. I decided to lay under my covers and think about......life I guess.

"We don't have school today guys." I heard a high pitched voice announce and I immediately knew who it was.

"We know, get out." I heard Ricky say.

"Okay you don't have to be so mean about it." JD said.

"I'm not being mean, I'm just telling you that we already know the news and that you can go and leave us alone."

Here they go with this little fight again.

"But that's still being mean."

"No it's not JD."

"Yes it is."

"No the hell it's not."

"Stop cussing or Imma tell Mommy."

"Imma tell Mom that you're over here bugging us."

I peeped from under my covers and witnessing my two little brothers looking angrily at each other. I chuckled quietly at them. They always argue about something every now and then and it just be hilarious to watch.

"I only just came over here to tell you that we don't have school today and you're over here being mean."

"For the last freakin time I'm not being mean."

"Yes you are."

Mom came in tiredly while holding Lucille. "What's the problem?"

"Ricky's being mean and he also said the H E double hockey stick word." JD told Mom.

"JD kept bothering us even though I told him a million times to get out." Ricky said.

Mom looked at my direction and shook her head. "Ricky don't be mean and don't say bad words. JD stop bothering your brothers."

JD blew raspberries at Ricky and shut the door. "Ugh, thank you." Ricky grumbled and picked up his book.

I got up to change into my stay-at-home clothes. "You coming down to eat breakfast with me?"

"Sure." Ricky shrugged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good morning everyone." Grandma Vynette greeted walking in.

"Good morning Grandma Vynette!" JD quickly got up from the table and hugged her.

"Oh, you seem happy today." Grandma said.

"Well he's always happy." Mom teased.

"I believe it. Where's my little baby Lucille?"