Chapter 6

The next morning, Dad dropped me off to my second day of school. "Have a good day." Dad said through the window. I waved and entered the school building.

I walked down the halls til I noticed a table with orange flyers on them. I picked one up and read it: Are you interested in singing? Well the Baltimore Middle Choir Program is holding auditions for the 2006-2007 school year. Auditions will be Wednesday, August 16 from 4:30-5:25pm after school at the upstairs auditorium. Don't forget to bring an extra copy of the piece you're singing.

I smiled a little bit. I miss being in choir back in Pittsburgh, even though I stopped around 4th grade. Suddenly someone tapped my back waking me up from my thoughts. I jumped and saw that it was just Jacqueline. "Oh, hi Jacqueline." I greeted.

"Hello." She said all cheerful. "What were you reading?"

"Just this flyer for choir. I think I might audition." I said placing the flyer in my backpack.

"Oh cool. I just signed up for art club earlier." Jacqueline said.

"That's nice. Do you consider yourself a creative person?" I asked.

Jacqueline sighed and blushed. "Yes." She sighed as she kept staring into my eyes.

We stood there looking at each other for what seemed like long time til I broke the silence, "I-I should get to class now."

"Y-yeah, me too." Jacqueline blushed.

~~~~~~~~Time Skip~~~~~~~

After 7th period, I waited for Mom to pick me up until I heard Jacqueline's voice from behind me. "Hi Dwayne."

I turned around. "Hello." I said kind of quiet.

Jacqueline's face grew a little worried. "What's the matter?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Just a little tired I guess." I said. Then I saw my Mom's minivan pull up. "My mom's here."

"Okay bye." Jacqueline said as she hugged me for a really long time.

"Um, can you let go please?" I asked feeling a little uncomfortable. Jacqueline let go and began to blush. I walked to the minivan and put on my seatbelt.

"Who was that?" Mom asked.

"Just a friend." I said.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Ricky asked slowly.

I quickly turned to my seat. "No. We're just friends."

"Sure didn't look like it." Ricky said. I just slowly turned around from my seat without saying a word. Then I remembered what I saw this morning, so I quickly dig in my backpack.

"Hey Mom, I'm thinking about doing choir again." I said showing her the flyer as she stopped at a red light.

"Oh that's nice. Do you have to go any auditions?" Mom asked.

"Yes." I answered. "Tomorrow after school."

"Okay." Mom said. "I'll pick you up after auditions tomorrow then." After that, we pulled up to our driveway and got out the minivan. "I'm ordering pizza tonight." Mom said after grabbing Lucille out of her car seat."

"Sweet." JD said as he ran to the front door. Mom opened the door and we all walked in to the living room and JD turned on the TV.

"Does pepperoni and sausage sound good to y'all?" Mom asked as she dialed the pizza place's number. We all nodded and I went upstairs.

I remembered I still kept the Lightly Row piece from 3rd grade choir. I went in my room and looked for my folder of "memorable things". I finally found it looked through the music. I looked at the notes and the lyrics below it and began to hum the song quietly.

"Yep. This'll work." I said as I went downstairs to our copy machine.