Chapter 10

4/16/05 - 11:59AM -  Main Street - Elizabeth's Dresses - Smallville, KS

"Everything is all set then."  replied Mrs. Marston as she handed Chloe her receipt. "Just give me a moment to wrap this up and you'll be on your way."

        Chloe's fitting turned out fine, having picked a nice black and pink dress without any extra measurements made.  Looks like she was able to return Lois back to work and to prepare the rest of her day. "I'm thinking we should go to the Talon, spend some time together before you relieve Clark." 

"Sure thing Chloe, I have to admit you really prepared..." Lois was interrupted. 

"Um excuse me." A voice chimed in.

"Sorry. I, Oh.."  Chloe stood surprised looking into the blonde haired, blue eyed hellion in pink by the name of Dawn Stiles. "Hello Dawn, what are you doing here?" Chloe asked hopefully without sounding annoyed.

"I'm next in line, now go." said Dawn.

"I still have to get my dress and didn't you get your dress at Metropolis?"

"Its not any of your business."

"Hey chill out Malibu Barbie." Lois shouted. "We're almost done here, besides my cousin was just asking politely."

"Look, um whoever.  One of us actually has something to aspire to and I don't think any of you cut it. So get lost."

        Lois was about to offer something to shove down her throat, when Mrs. Marston came back with Chloe's dress and her expression went from happy to frustrated at the sight of Dawn Stiles.

"Ms. Stiles what are you doing back here?" asked Mrs. Marston.

"I'm here to pick up that back up dress I told you about, you know."

        Chloe and Lois looked at each other and sighed at the same time.  They couldn't believe that Dawn already being able to afford a nice dress purchased in Metropolis was now barging in to demand a backup whereas most of the girls in line where working their butts off to obtain the most affordable thing they could find.

"I told you, what you want is not for sale."  Mrs. Marston interjected.  "That dress is one of a kind, there is no other color than the one I have on that window.  So don't expect that color of pink you wanted for it.  More importantly its for display only, I won't sell it for any price you offer.  I designed that dress from my time in Esmod."

"Es monde?" said a confused Dawn.

"Esmod. A Paris fashion school.  Its one of my best designs and I wouldn't give up for any price, least of all to you."

        Lois, Chloe and several of the other girls waiting in the shop became embarrassed at the scene in front of them.  Only at this particular moment started to take pride in Mrs. Marston's final words.

"Well, what is that supposed to mean missy?" Dawn asked.

        Chloe looked at Mrs. Marston and knew from her time with her and with others who knew the woman that she was a kind middle-aged woman who in her younger days came back to Smallville after going to that wonderful school in Paris. She then married her sweetheart Bill Marston as they opened up the store selling everything from wedding gowns to the most fashionable dresses a girl could afford in Smallville.  She must have known lots of girls who asked if they could try the masterpiece she presented on that display window like a trophy but were refused.  She also must have dealt with so many divas, bridezillas and so on that Chloe had to admire the woman's restraint.

"Well for one thing dear.  You don't have the shape for it."

'Wow! Going for the jugular. I like it!' thought Chloe who especially liked the look of horror Dawn had on her face.