Chapter 41

Hello.  Once again I hope you are enjoying reading this story.  I just want to say that in this chapter I have included a another song to be played at the beginning.  I know this song comes from a different movie.  But often when I seek inspiration for a Superman story I sometimes thing about this song. Especially whenever he flies.  Please comment, vote and enjoy.

***********************************************************************************************************

4/18/05 - 11:50PM  - Smallville, KS

        Clark flew past the original place he fell when he first found the cave as he escaped into the moonlight seeing the stars above and the ground below as he felt the same joy and exhilaration when he was in that limbo as he flew above Smallville seeing the stars clearer than he ever seen them before. Thinking of Diana's costume with the stars, the look in her eyes and the sound of her voice. And of course her touch, whether by a hug or one of their passionate kisses. He was free out here and proud to belong to a brotherhood of heroes, friends, family and someone to share the rest of his life with.  

        He then dived down an saw the lowing of several animals as he flew past the land and then kept going as he continued past the Elbow river and then over the town of Smallville looking around and seeing the school, the mill, Pleasant Meadows, Main Street, Bratt Flats and flying up as high above the clouds again feeling the wind and the moonlight on his face as he was free as a bird. He eventually returned back to the ground landing in front of his home.

He knocked and there his mother greeted him. "Honey are you okay?  Did Diana make it back.."

        Martha couldn't finish as Clark hugged her as his father joined them at the entrance as Chloe, Lois and Lana had come back to see Clark.  There was no sound accompanying Clark's hugging of his mother for some time until he eventually spoke up.

"You were right, mom.  You were right."

Martha didn't understand what Clark was talking about.  "What was I right about Clark?"

"What you've always told me.  That there was somebody out there for me.  You were right."

"Diana?"

"Yes."

        Martha returned her son's embrace with her own as everyone else in the house seemed to be proud for Clark.  To be rescued by a woman may have been a humbling feeling for some guys and Lois was ready to tease Clark about it but instead she felt happy that Clark's savior was the woman he was meant to be with.  Clark told them about how Diana left earlier because she had a meeting with Mrs. Marston about the dress which she let her keep free of charge.  All the girls were surprised.  Martha was a little angry she didn't get to see Diana in her dress.  But then smiled happily.

"All this time and it turns out Liz gives it to a woman who shows it off to her husband."

        Clark beamed at being seen already as Diana's husband and told his mother that according to Diana, she may well see her in that dress.  Martha was certainly eager to see that happen, for as long she could remember anyway.

"How did she look?" said Martha.

"Wonderful.  Absolutely wonderful."

        Eventually the rest of the Kents stood around the table eating some of the ice cream that Diana brought.  Eventually Lana and Chloe left as they returned home.  Lois then went back upstairs, even though she offered Clark back his room for his actual birthday he preferred to be on the couch with Shelby.  As his mother and father hugged him goodnight, Clark was by himself wrestling with that final surprise from Diana.

        She was going to be his wife one day, after all the pain he was yet to suffer his mother from Krypton great fear was unfounded.  He would know love and he will know it to the end of time.  Diana's prayer and every other thing she did was all because she was in love with him.  He wanted more than anything to apologize for hurting her feelings.  For almost dying the day before. But more than anything he wanted to be with her again.

        As he lay back on the couch he had hoped to go to sleep more peacefully like the night before when he first hugged her.  Instead he tossed and turned even while Shelby stood by his side.  So he decided to go to the barn and hope that its cool air would give him some rest.  Maybe it was being in that coma for almost a day.  It was going to take a while. 

        He eventually had a very hard time going to sleep as the image of Diana in that dress looking both regal and supremely gorgeous was difficult to shake.  He couldn't find a comfortable position on the couch in the loft, even with the window open and an apparently chilly temperature.  He even got up to take off his shirt and his sweats leaving only his red shorts on.  But even that didn't seem to work.  He couldn't stop thinking of Diana.  But he took a deep breath and slowly calmed himself down.  He told himself that eventually this memory erasing would kick in and he wouldn't remember her at all.  So he closed his eyes and decided to sing himself a Happy Birthday.  No sooner did he begin to sing he started to wonder who's birthday it was and eventually fell asleep.