Chapter 24

4/16/05 - 8:55PM  - Base Entrance - Fort Riley, KS

Diana held her hand right next to the drivers neck as she had threatened to break it if he so much as alerted the guards at the gate.  The poor man was afraid, but if everything went as it did then he'll be back at home safe and sound.

"Lady please you don't understand."

"No you don't understand.  I need to get in there, now be quiet."

        They passed the first checkpoint where they saw a guard flagging the driver down.  He more or less made it clear that he was alerted by an emergency on the base and was summoned to assist.  The guards made it clear they had their own emergency crew  and there was no reason for a civilian to be there.  To which the driver nervously gestured to the necessity of the situation.  The guards then performed a check and then reacted with alarm as the saw the bloody handprint and ordered him to get out.

To which Diana decided to act striking at the back of the guy's neck with a right handed chop.  Taking the wheel she stepped on the gas and ran the checkpoint.  Seeing herself past the entrance she made it as far as a hundred yards before several trucks started to catch up with her.  So she crashed the car right beside one of those trucks as she continued on foot heading straight to the command quarters as Hardcastle had done.  Wrenching a weapon from one of the guards she ran as fast as she could making it passed several gunshots as she successfully breached the building.  Making her way passed the guards she made it into the elevator.  She was just about to realize things were working too successful until her breathe started to become labored as she smelled the elevator becoming filled with a tranquilizing gas as she fell straight into unconsciousness before one more thought filled her head. 'Its working.'

***

"It looks like it worked."  General Sam Lane uttered as he saw the woman who had infiltrated the base fall into the trap they had laid out for her.  Hardcastle mentioned that if the two were united then their next move was to take them out in particular if they carried any technology that they would be intending to use it to locate and kill him.

Now they have one of them, so the other is probably not far behind.  If anything this could be a diversion. 

"As far as we are concerned there doesn't seem to be anyone else here." Steve spoke up. Having been summoned out of bed with orders to return to the situation room.  But I am undergoing a complete scan of the facility, everyone checks out no matter what, from the lowest private to the highest general."

"Make sure its completely thorough." said Lane.  "However that woman was able to pass herself off as a member of the US Navy was exceptional.  Be prudent and rely upon a less technical approach."

        The moment the news at the checkpoint was reported things became pear shaped quickly. Ever since the search was started Lane then had to ask Hardcastle an important question.  He made it clear that most of what was done was fixed on finding them. But given their abilities he couldn't help but wonder if there was anything to stop them at all.  Hardcastle said that though they were strong that they still had weaknesses particularly the Kent boy.  He described his power but even more his weakness.  The green meteor rocks of Smallville.  As for the woman, her strength was great but she was vulnerable, being most susceptible to any form of knockout gas.

        Lane issued the order for the placement of various vents to be filled with a special tranquilizing agent.  It would appear that Jason was correct in this regard.  He also ordered a cell that would regulate an amount of air to tranquilizing agent so as to contain her. 

        Now as far as obtaining any meteor-rock from Smallville, he was being denied that by Blankenship.  If true that the rock contained a form of radiation that was able to harm a living person then that was out of the question.  So until then he could only hope that the boy wasn't on the base.