Chapter 13

4/16/05 - 12:55PM -  The Talon - Smallville, KS

        Lois Lane turned off her phone as she happily sipped away the last drops of her coffee, with a half eaten pie crust left on her plate as she continued her small talk with her cousin and the mousy Navy NCO named Diana.

"Well my shift starts in a few minutes and got nothing but the rest of the thirsty and hungry masses to deal with.  But until then what's your story Diana?"

"My story?" Diana said as she fidgeted a little.

"What's a nice girl like you doing serving in the US Navy?"

        Diana thought for a moment as she sipped the sweet, warm cappuccino knowing it was a brief respite from answering Lois' question but knew only full well how to respond.

"I've always wanted to travel. So I thought after being raised in an isolated environment and being the best there was.  Going out into the world was the next best thing.  What better choice than the Navy right?  No offense."

"Oh I'm not offended, my father on the other hand." Lois said as Chloe smiled at the thought as she took a bite out of a muffin.

"So your prom dress was ready and apparently so will your crown your majesty, thankfully you paid off the right person so I'll put the word out."  Diana continued boasting.  "Smallville High will not survive without Chloe Sullivan as the prom queen."

        Chloe wanted to refute but was in such a good mood she decided to present her hand in a mockingly royal gesture. Diana knew she was kidding as she placed her forehead to Chloe's palm in a mock acquiescence.

Lois grinned at the sight.  "Dawn Stiles won't know what his her."

"Seriously you two, what I want more than anything is to get rid of the whole dog and pony show to begin with." said Chloe.

"Oh come on Chloe, what little girl never played with a crown atop of her head wanting the praise that came from being a princess or a queen." said Lois.

"Its our birthright," Diana said. "To follow the highest regard to a young woman's dignity. That is what being a princess means.  To be a queen is to command that regard.  Having just met you Chloe a girl who just wants everyone to have fun and celebrate their achievement, you hold more than enough dignity to wear your school's crown."

Chloe signed as she regarded Diana with some of the shyness she herself bore earlier.  "That sounds like someone who had a good life with their mother.  Mine used to say that too when I was very little."

Diana didn't want to look sad as she heard that remembering from Clark that Chloe's mother had to leave her because she was sick in her own mind.  Having slipped into catatonia and unresponsive to living a normal life.  Not to mention her own loss of her mother.

"Yes I have.  And she sounds like a wonderful mother."

Lois sighed sadly not knowing everything about her aunt Moira other than the fact she left her family.

"But still If you don't like what the prom queen means right now, then win it and change it at least for this year."

"Perhaps.  At least be able to dance with the Prom king, whoever that strapping young man would be."

"Somebody taking about the Prom king,"  A female customer walking out with her coffee in hand stopped in front of Chloe. "Aren't you besties with him or something?"

The girl left as Diana look confused as she questioned both girls.  "What was that all about?"

"She's referring to Clark, a guy she dated for a bit and has been her best friend since. He's a decent guy but in reality he's the school's king for his achievement on the football battlefield.  Same old story."