Chapter 15

4/16/05 - 1:05PM  - Smallville, KS

This was getting a little rough. Clark thought as he was barely holding it together as Diana swerved here and there cutting corners as she maneuvered through what was once a quiet town as she sped through the roads of Smallville in a chase that was something out of a movie. And here I am in the middle of it with the girl auditioning for the Fast & the Furious part ...

"Forgive me but... What are you doing!?" as Clark screamed at her swerving in front of a eighteen wheel truck heading in the other direction.  The truck stopped awkwardly as the rear of the truck all but angled right in front of them ripping the roof off their heads and blocking the rest of the road as Diana looked back and saw the rest of the small group of patrol cars completely stalled in what appeared to be a dashing smile on her face.  She's enjoying this!?

"Are you crazy? You could have hurt somebody back there!"

"But I didn't Clark. I know what I'm doing, just consider this, what do you call it 'another day at the office.'  And please don't try to escape, I'll be there to catch you again before you even think of hurting me.  Don't try that either.  Now call shotgun and please mind the bag."

        Clark did as he was told as he stood while the car was still moving as Clark noticed the woman's black bag.  He slid into the seat making sure to leave the bag alone as he sat down noticing that she was still smiling as if this was another nice drive out in the town.  To his left he noticed the mill and to the right the Pleasant Meadows housing where Chloe lived.  All the comfortable sights of Smallville noticed by a woman who started a car chase.

"Oh.  I almost forgot something." said Diana. "Oh no I didn't."

"Forget what?"

"The transponder to the car.  I figured they'll turn it on once they've lost us.  But that's located on the roof of the car we just destroyed along with the cameras they have on the rear view window.  What a shame."

"Why?" asked Clark. "Want to see how good you look having caused all that needless destruction?"

"I have you to tell me how good I look in that regard."

'Was she flirting with me?' thought Clark. "Stop this car and tell me who you are and why you are doing this."

"We are not going to stop.  Not yet.  But I will tell you a few things.  Like I said back there you are in danger.  Someone from when I come from had co-opted those cops into arresting you and handing you over to the US military."

"Why?" Clark asked again. "I didn't do anything? Or is this some sick joke gone to far?"

"Its not what you've done its who you are?"

Clark was getting both nervous and annoyed. "I am Clark Kent, I live in Smallville I go to Smallville High and all I want to do is be a normal kid.  Why would..."

Diana then looked him in the eyes and all but declared what Clark didn't want to hear, "You are Kal-El of Krypton.  You were raised in Smallville and go to its high school and wish to live the life of an ordinary human.  But you are the embodiment of the hopes and dreams of a once great civilization and are bestowed with a great destiny."

Destiny? Did Jor-El send her, like he did that brainwashed girl? "No.  I choose how I live my own life and I..."

"Quiet."  Diana said as she pulled a gold pistol from her jacket, one of the same pistols Clark saw as she shot up the Talon.  That pistol was aimed at the back of the car.  Was she shooting somebody?