Chapter 38

4/18/05 - 12:15PM  - Kent Farm - Smallville, KS

        Clark returned home to a quiet house until he saw Shelby run right for him.  Clark couldn't have been happier to be back.  He was surprised at how easy it was to return until Diana showed him her computer as he noticed how discretely she activated the program.  Everything was slowly returning back to normal with the whole town with the exception of the people with him that very moment.

        The Kents alongside Chloe, Lois and Lana were still able to remember everything.  But Diana made it clear come the end of the day they will forget everything to keep Clark and his family safe.  Lana seemed to be the first to disagree with this when one look from Diana all but silenced her.  Chloe and Lois were more obliging but the Kents especially Jonathan wanted to disagree.  She made it clear there was to be no change to what would happen.  Though Diana did mention that she did allow for one other person in the town to remember.  She didn't say who but she talked to her briefly to know she wouldn't reveal anything.

        Everyone of Clark's friends started working on making some lunch.  Though Martha almost as commanding as Diana made it clear for Clark to stay out of the kitchen and relax.  For once Clark understood how his father felt being told to rest up because of his heart condition.  Both guys sat down on the couch as Jonathan spoke what was already on Clark's mind.

"Its like they think we are helpless. Right son?"

"Pretty much."

"Still, you did get shot in the heart, something like that you just don't begin working right away.  The doctor did notice how your body was similar to that of a patient with heart disease.  At least you can eat whatever you want.  From what I'm smelling it seems as if your mother is cooking beef bourguignon."

"Your favorite meal if I'm not mistaken."  said Diana.

"Really?  I know today is becoming really special Diana but something like that is saved usually for my birthday and its still several weeks away."

"Really?" said Diana.  "Well in many ways today is your birthday.  Your heart reborn in the fires of the sun like a phoenix.  Oh I also need to tell your mother something."

"What?"

"Its a surprise Kal-El."

"Okay." said Clark.

        So Clark and his father relaxed as they heard the sound of the girls helping Martha cook a good meal for him.  Clark wanted to ask his mother what the surprise was exactly.  He then walked into the kitchen wondering where Diana had gone.  Apparently she sped out but not before telling Martha not to prepare any pie.  Which seemed disappointing to Clark given how he would really appreciate a delicious slice of pie.  Martha also said Diana left to get some strawberry ice cream.  To which Martha found interesting, but Clark actually grinned happily as he recalled her deep love of ice cream.

"Of all the things she discovered when she arrived in the world it was ice cream that was her first real love on this planet."

"Hmm." said Lois.  "Sounds pretty understandable to me Clark, hope she brings enough for all of us."

"Lois she is an Amazon.  I don't think she's interested in sharing her favorite meal.  Unless you want to throw down with her again.  Judging by the black eye I think you want to avoid that."

Clark then noticed a mean stare from Lois as she shooed Clark away from the kitchen.

        Clark and Jonathan then spent some time talking about what had happened in the past couple of days.  The soldiers on the farm, being escorted off to the base.  How Shelby was willing to bite one of the soldiers hands.  Though Jonathan wished it would have been one of the officers especially the Colonel who showed up.