Chapter 43

4/19/30 - 8:00AM  - Kawatche Caves - Smallville, KS

        Clark stood there in the middle of the caves as he awaited hopefully for Diana to return.  It had been months since Hardcastle had been found in an abandoned LexCorp laboratory as they realized the man had been reinforced with several high tech equipment much in the same mold as John Corbin was constructed only far more advanced.  Now they had found him and he had found out about the Legion ring that Clark had been entrusted with.  After several adventures with the ring being used in certain circumstances he had loaned it to S.T.A.R. labs for practical study.

        But Hardcastle had found out about the ring and decided to use it break into S.T.A.R. labs and stole it to change history, creating a world without Superman.  They arrived just in time for him to travel back in time only for Diana to hold on to him as the bracelet around her wrist had caused an energy field envelop both her and Clark.  No sooner did it happen did Diana realize what was going on.  A temporal wake had been activated protecting them from changes in the timeline.  She moved around the lab getting things she would need to survive in the past but in order to travel back in time she needed to get to the Kawatche cave.  As she held on to Clark with the technology and other tools in a black duffel as she kissed Clark right in the lips hopefully not for the last time.

        Clark was waiting patiently in the caves as the energy field around him was beginning to disappear until a bright light encompassed him as he saw robotic limbs fall around the cave eventually coming to a torso and the remains of a human head.  Diana felt it necessary to kill Hardcastle.  Well, after what he had been through and the insanity he must had suffered from being poked and prodded by Lex's people after years of being manipulated to kill him, Clark could understand how Diana had to kill him.  No matter what Hardcastle had done he deserved a decent burial.  Arlington Cemetery awaited him.  He'd even get his mother to be there to deliver his eulogy.

No sooner was he done putting the pieces away did Diana come racing into his arms.  He then looked down and noticed how beautiful she looked wearing a very elegant dress. 

"What took you so long?"

"Charming as always Kal-El."  She then hugged Clark very tightly as she was happy to be in his arms once again.  Some time had elapsed before she eventually spoke up.  Clark heard Diana's voice and it sound hoarse and scratchy.  She also looked very exhausted.

"Hardcastle left just at around the same time we had guessed he would.  Twenty-five years ago in Smallville where he intended to kill you before you became Superman.  It took me half a day attempting to gain eyes on you before Hardcastle used his old friends in the US military to try to hunt you down, including arresting you parents and some of your old friends.  I managed to rescue you and convince you to run and hide until we finally managed to defeat him.  But at a great cost.  You almost died and I had to send your body into the sun to be restored to life.  Thanks to the technology and eventually getting my hands on the ring I was able to fix everything."

"So you had to get rid of my memories.  I understand why you did what you did as well as Hardcastle's body."

"He had me in almost the same type of situation you faced with Zod where I had to kill him or allow you, your family and your friend to die.  I had no choice."

"Its okay Diana.  I understand."

Clark hugged her tightly only for Diana to break the hug and told him more.

"I also contacted a few old friends who just happened to be around the time."

"Who?"

"Hal, Carol, Steve and even Phil"

"So you guys got to help you and me out.  Are you sure you didn't actually see the fates themselves give you a prodding as well?"

"Maybe I missed them." Diana said with a chuckle.  "Are you sure you didn't remember anything interesting exactly twenty-five years ago.

"Actually I remembered that I was in a very good mood on the day I came back to school.  I remembered that day because one of the last things I did was eat the last piece of strawberry pie... and some strawberry ice cream.  Our favorite treats.  What did you do?"

"Not so much me Kal-El but you."

"What did I do?"

"You fell in love with me."

Clark looked into those eyes and looked again at her wonderful body in that beautiful dress.  So that was why I flirted back all those years when I thought I first met her.  I was already in love with her then as now.

"Also remember when you were that young how scared you were in fulfilling the destiny Jor-El wanted for you.  I didn't reveal everything until the very end, in front of Hal and Carol and the rest of you family and friends.  We were all so proud of you and the men you were to become."

"Is it possible I can have my memory restored as a late birthday present."

"Sure... But I do have a little something to reveal."

"What little something?  Diana what did you do?"

Diana then started to look particularly embarrassed.  "I'm so sorry. You had just turned eighteen and you were so handsome."

"Diana!  What happened?" 

"Why don't I just show you?"

"Diana then pressed her bracelet to Clark's forehead as a bright light filled Clark's vision.