Chapter 34

4/17/05 - 7:30PM  - Smallville Medical Center  - Smallville, KS

        The sheriff sat by the front entrance while making sure only people who needed care were coming in and not just some gawkers interested in getting inside and seeing that poor boy.  She was as alert as she could be making sure nobody else came in.  Obeying the orders of that hotshot pilot as she stayed below.  But as she looked outside many were obediently standing watch despite her best efforts.  She then noticed more people walk by as she stood up out of her chair.

***

        Diana was not surprised when she saw the people gathered around the building but Steve Trevor was.  He saw faces of men and women who probably never gave the kid a second thought as he saw them sitting or standing with tears in their eyes.  Posters saying 'Get well Clark' 'Save Him' and many more signs.  It was getting dark but that didn't stop the people as he saw many of them with flashlights and candles in their hands.  It was a vigil for one who was the reason many had been safe.

        Diana and Steve then managed to break through an opening that was willing to admit patients as the stepped openly in front of the path as they prepared to enter only to have the sheriff block the way.

"May I ask what you are doing here?"

Steve spoke up first. "We are here to visit Clark Kent sheriff.  I'm the air force officer that relieved General Lane of his command."

"Listen up you two.  I'm willing to let you in the hospital but I have the order of a pretty tough lady who said no one else was to get near that poor kid."

"She placed him in the care of the air force officer to watch over him.  Besides it was me who gave the order sheriff."  said Diana.

"And who do you think you are?"

"I'm.. Oh. Sorry, I forget how well this disguise usually works." said Diana as she took off her glasses and undid her hair.

"Whoa!" said Sheriff Adams. "I'm so sorry of course you may enter."

        The crowd behind Diana was wondering what was going on as the sheriff then led her inside.  No sooner did she hear the crowd begin to mutter she decided to chance it and turn around.  As soon as she did some camera's started to flash as people began to applaud at her presence.  She and Steve walked inside as they entered the elevator together with the sheriff.

"So that disguise really works?" said Steve.

"Its worked for years Steve." said Diana.

"I don't see how, I could recognize you in heartbeat."

"Then you must have a had a really long heartbeat because I appeared like this for years when we both worked together."

"Wait a minute." Adams interrupted.  "You guys know each other?"

"No." said Diana.  "But we will."

"It truly is a small world then." replied the sheriff.

        They walked out of the elevator as Diana and Steve were led by the sheriff down a hallway that was guarded by several sailors.  One of them she recognized as Seaman Deodato.

"Speaking of a small world.  Seaman Deodato I believe?"

"Oh. Oh its you!"  the sailor replied, then seeming to remember himself stood at attention.

"As you were Seaman Deodato, I'm not really a member of the US Navy."

"Yes, but you do have the Captain next to you.  Even if aren't Navy, you certainly fight like it.  I'll inform the Ensign and the Captain.  Wait right here."