Chapter 23

4/16/05 - 8:30PM  - Detention Area - Fort Riley, KS

Martha and Jonathan sat in a adjoining prison cell where the block was clean and white, where they were watched by two guards with carbines as the held each other's hands through the bars as they reflected on what was going on.  Chloe was in the cell next to Jonathan and Martha next to Jonathan.  Both not understanding as much as the other.  Both agreed via nods and silence that they were here for a reason and they were not going to share that reason, especially in front of the cameras and the guards.  All they knew was someone was after Clark and all the could hope for was that he was all right.

***

"You did what?!?!?!"

"I'm pretty sure you heard me Lois.  If you want to be insolent don't treat me as if I'm deaf."

"Under arrest!" screamed Lois.  "Your niece!  My friend's parents!"

The medic had finished looking over Sam Lane, convinced that though there was some severe swelling in his jaw, it did appear to be well aligned.  There was no broken teeth but he did notice a few loose teeth.

"Such a shame none fell out. But then again I can always finish what Mr. Kent started and change that."

"And place you under arrest too Lois." Lane countered while hearing the medic's diagnosis.

"I'd still advise you sir to get an X-Ray in case I've missed something."  The medic replied.

"Not right now.  I still have work to do."

After receiving a prescription for penicillin, Lane left the small office next to the situation room where Lois had found him.  Though Lois was hot on his heels alongside Lana who had been informed by an officer about what was going on with them and with what just happened to Chloe and the Kents.  Lois originally appreciated that her father was offering them protection.  But when he had informed them that he had Chloe and the Kents arrested she burst out of the room to find him.  With Lana and a very flustered officer.

"You know I practically am a prisoner anyway, locked in my quarters alongside Lana for 'my protection' all I'd be doing is getting a change in accommodations."

"Please General Lane." Lana chimed in.  "You have the wrong people.  Your niece is innocent and so are the Kents."

"No my dear, Lois here is innocent.  You are innocent.  You especially because you value the truth above all things.  I have reviewed what the Kents have said and I am completely convinced of their guilt.  Tell me something you two, what kind of innocent man would assault a soldier no sooner than being arrested."

"Please, Dad." spat Lois.  "All anyone has to do is be in the same room with you for a minute for that to happen.  Believe me I've had that feeling before. Remember Lucy?"

"She was your responsibility Lois.  Besides its out of my hands now, Lois.  My superiors believe that I'm too close to this after that assault and even now are bringing in another interviewer."

"Interrogator, you mean.  Or is torturer?"

"That's enough Lois.  I've got to get back."

"This isn't over!"

"Guards!" Lane called to several men by the observation room.  "Escort these two women back.  If they lay a finger on you for any reason at all you have them escorted back to Smallville."

Lois couldn't believe this was happening.  As she led herself out alongside Lana.

***

Lana and Lois made it back to her quarters with a considerable amount of resistance from Lois. 

"Lana you don't have to be here."

"Yes, I do.  Chloe's my friend and the Kents are as good to me as they are to you for being Clark's friend.  Besides, the Talon still has police there.  As far as I'm concerned I'm here to stay."

"Thanks Lana.  I just really wish I knew why all this is happening.  More importantly where is Smallville?  If that woman has him he better be in some sort of trouble.  Or I swear I'll cause it for him and he'll know because he's the recipient."

Lana was worried for Clark too.  If this had something to do with his secret then he's being very selfish and now his parents were paying for it.  All she could hope for that he was alright and if he was he'd better be on his way here.