[Chapter 1]Is It Love? [A Human!Solkat Fanfiction]

You know that feeling of being the new kid? Everyone staring at you. Watching your every move. Judging you silently, and right when you slip up, it's all over and they've determined everything. They've determined who you are, and what social status you are. In this case, Karkat just so happened to slip pretty badly. Now his social status was determined.

"The lowest of the low!" The preppy guys called it.

"The biggest loser!" The preppy girls said.

"You're a freak, kid." The middle-class kids admitted.

"Finally! We aren't the freaks!" The nerds exclaimed.

They all avoided him in the halls. Acting as if he had a disease. He always kept his head low, avoiding eye contact. The looks we're just too hurtful to see, even for him. He never spoke. If a teacher spoke to him, he'd respond quietly, or with a simple shake of the head or shrug of the shoulders. Not much. It doesn't bother the teachers, except for his math teacher. All the other teachers understand how these kids are, but Mr. Stevenson doesn't care. He thinks they should all get over themselves and grow up. The other teachers tell the kids that they must be patient with him, as he is the oldest member of the Alternia High School staff. They have to wait for him to understand.

It was a normal day for Karkat. Well, if being beat up, called names, cursed at, and embarrassed in front of the whole school counts as normal. The days felt like they lasted too long. The constant feeling of hate pouring over him as the others stared. The uneasy feeling you could experience by just being near him. Not to mention the fact that he couldn't even go use the restroom without a group of kids stopping him in the hall, giving him his daily beating. The worst, he had to admit, we're the pranks. The god awful, embarrassing, and downright cruel pranks done by the one and only, John Egbert. The King of Pranks, they called him. He was well-known for wrapping his teacher's desk in wrapping paper before school when it had been the day before Christmas break, and famous for the time he put green dye in all the cafeteria's food supply. The food was green for weeks. Of course, he pulls his most cruel jokes on Karkat. Like the time in 3rd period when he set up a bucket of water over the door for him. The office wouldn't even let him call his father to bring him a dry pair of clothes, so instead he had to cover it up with his jacket and extra pair of gym shorts(of course, his were usually stolen, so he always kept an extra pair).

As his day finally came to an end, the bus ride home didn't differ from school either. Paper wads, spitballs, and paper airplanes still occurred as he waited the usual 10 minutes before he got off, meeting his older brother Kankri there as well. As the bus finally slowed to a stop, he nearly ran off the bus, feeling the usual pull and tug as he went down the aisle. The bus pulled away. He sighed in relief, walking inside his house and sitting his stuff down in defeat, only to see that this time, his brother had beat him home. He was sitting at the table, wearing his favorite red sweater as he read a book, a glass of milk sitting in front of him.