CHAPTER 16✔

~Long endless highways.
You're silent beside me.

Driving a nightmare I can't
Escape from.

Helplessly praying.
The light isn't fading.

Hiding the shock and the
Chills in my bones~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was feeling cold. The place smelled like death and disinfectant. The walls were gray. The cold metal of the chair was making me shiver. Paranoia was running in my veins. I was clutching the note in my hand.

A note was left beside Ryder when he or she whoever it was purposely hit him with the car. I ran outside and called the ambulance. The writing on the note made my blood ran cold.

"Stay away from her."

It was happening again. Someone was threatening him just like last time. Landon's death was made to look like an accident. But I knew it wasn't. And now someone purposely tried to kill Ryder.

No matter how much I try to figure out who could it be, I never understand. Luke was by my side. I didn't tell him about the note. I just couldn't. It would put him in danger too.

The doctor walked out of the operation theater after what seemed like eternity. We immediately stood up.

"He's going to be okay. Just some internal bleeding but he'll survive. You can see him." Doctor's words soothed me. My posture relaxed upon hearing his words.

Luke waited outside while I went inside. He was sitting there, his skin pale. A lopsided grin graced his lips making me smile.

"Hey my knight in shining armour." Ryder said. "How are you feeling?" I said, as I sat down beside him and took his hand.

"Better now that you're here." He winked at me. "Stop being cheesy." I said, punching his shoulder lightly.

He winced a little as he tried to move. I kept playing with his fingers. His hand clasped mine.

"What's on your mind?" He said. "Nothing. Just I was scared." I said, honestly.

"Oh my god. Am I hearing you right? You care about me, Rose. You were scared to lose me. Now I can die peacefully." He said, putting his hand on his forehead dramatically.

"I never should've admitted that." I groaned. "But you did. Good to know you care about me too." He said smiling.

My heart fluttered as he said 'too'. I just smiled.

"Do you want me to stay?" I said.

"No you should go. You already have a lot on your mind." He said. "But I wanna stay." I said.

"Ok. Stay." He said.

And I did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next day I woke up to see Ryder sleeping peacefully. I took a paper and wrote on it, telling Ryder I'll be gone. I yawned loudly.

I got into the parking lot and went to my car. When I got home, I was ready to collapse.

"Lee. I need to talk to you. Right now!!" Andrea said.
"Can't it wait, Andy. I'm really tired. Please." I said.

"No you need to listen to me. It's about Dad." That immediately caught my attention. What could be so important about Dad??