Chapter 18

It took a little convincing but they allowed us to stay in the same room. Hobbs pushed the beds together and the railings in the middle were lowered so I cuddled into his side. Just laying there listening to his heart made everything 100 times better.

"You scared me Kaylee." he whispered into my hair.

"I guess we're even, what the hell were you thinking?"

"I found the bag of bombs in Shaw's car and I figured it would do the job to get rid of the chopper. I thought I would slide right by it and maybe have a rough landing, hitting the damn thing sure wasn't in my plans."

"Aren't we the pair?"

"You wanna tell me what happened to you?" he asked.

"No one told you?"

"No, what happened to you baby?" he asked, caressing my stomach where the bandages were.

"Got shot by the drone while I was in my car and then got hit by metal scraps when said car blew up. I wasn't in the car though, I just wasn't far enough for the metal not to hit me."

"Metal was where?"

"Metal was in my stomach, bullet was my thigh apparently, which I find very difficult to believe but the damn thing was right over us at one point. It's a miracle neither of us got shot in the head."

"In your shoulder again." he said.

"What?"

"You didn't notice it? You got shot in the shoulder and metal lodged in your thigh." he said as I moved the damned hospital gown.

"Well hell . . ." I exclaimed.

"Trust you . . ." he said.

"Baby . . ."

"Yes?"

"When can we go home? What's gonna happen to us now?" I asked the question that had been plaguing me since I woke up.

"I don't know, they want to keep us here at least 24 hours what with your immense blood loss and my concussion."

"How long have I been out?"

"About six hours."

"It's 5am now, what time are we leaving?" I asked with a smile.

"As much as I'm ready to leave I'm going to wait the 24. I need to make sure that you're okay, the entire team donated blood with all they had to use here in your surgery. I don't ever want to go through that again." he said, burying his head in my hair.

"Hopefully you won't have to. When are we going to be finished with this life Dom?"

"Kaylee . . ."

"No, I want to raise my baby in peace. Not having to worry about the danger that she might be in because of something that we did in the past."

"Me too, let's work on moving on after we get out of here."

"Really?" I asked him.

"Yeah, there are things that we have to talk about in order for that to happen but I want that too."

"What things?" I asked worriedly.

"It's not important now, we just have to worry about healing and getting back to Aubrey." he said but there was a worried look on his face.

"Of course, I want my baby." I told him.

"I promised you something." he said.

"You made lots of promises, which one are you talking about in particular?"