Options

"Why didn't you tell us about him when the team first first adopted you?" Steve asked once I'd finished my story.

        "Because I had no hope that you were going to be able to keep my brother imprisoned." I explained "I thought it'd be best to make sure they stayed out of trouble as much as possible." Cassie hugged me tighter and I laughed quietly as I hugged her back. I was sitting next to Scott too and he was holding both Cassie and I in a hug, smiling like a goofball.

        "Paxton and Maggie are going to be happy to see you." he said with a grin "They're coming over soon." My eyes widened at the thought of seeing the two after so long. The rest of the team went with Luis upstairs to find a place to put their stuff, while I stayed downstairs with Scott and Cassie. Eventually, a car pulled up in front of the house and a familiar couple hopped out.

        "Don't say anything!" I exclaimed as I set Cassie down and ducked behind the couch. The door opened and I could hear Cassie saying hi to her parents excitedly.

        "What's up Paxton?" Scott asked casually as he greeted him and Maggie.

        "I think I have a lead on where Sadie is!" Paxton said breathlessly "Her older brother, from my records, has been captured by the government, but I can't find where Sadie is. The records say her brother was captured in New York, so that's definitely somewhere to look."

        "Or behind the couch." I said, standing up from my hiding place. Paxton and Maggie stared at me in shock before rushing over and hugging me as much as they could with a couch between us. I clumsily clambered over it so I could hug them properly. "I missed you guys." I whispered.

        "We missed you too Sweetie." Maggie gasped "Are you OK? The last time we saw you..."

        "I'm fine." I assured her "The Avengers and SHIELD captured my brother and took me in. I didn't want to risk any heat falling on you guys so I didn't tell them anything. That's why I didn't come back. I'm sorry."

        "Oh don't be sorry Sadie." Maggie said as she and Paxton continued to hug me "We're just so happy that you're OK. Did you come by yourself?"

        "About that..." I said sheepishly as Luis walked into the living room with everyone trailing awkwardly behind them. "um, meet part of the Avengers." Maggie and Paxton waved wordlessly at the team. "That's Steve, Bucky, Pietro, Wanda, Clint, and Sam." I rattled off "Guys, this is Maggie and Paxton. My unofficial/official parents." The team all said hi a little nervously, but I think everyone was getting along so far.

        "So!" Scott butted in, trying to cut through the awkwardness "Maggie, Paxton, if you guys want to stay for dinner so we can all get to know each other, that'd be fun."

        "Yeah!" I said eagerly "I can catch you guys up on everything."

        "Sounds great." Paxton said with a smile "We'd love to."

        "Cassie I can see you feeding the ant!" The girl giggled and shamelessly tossed some more of her food to the ant that was twice her size. The team had been a little freaked out when they first met it, but they eventually warmed up to it. All of the adults, even Wanda and Pietro, were talking amongst themselves leaving Cassie and I to hang out together.

        "What are the Avengers like?" Cassie asked excitedly. I made a face as I tried to think.

        "They're all idiots." I teased "Nowhere near as smart as you. Or as fun." I bopped her nose causing her to laugh even more "I missed you Care Bear." I said softly, using my nickname for her "You're like the sister I never had." Cassie gave me a tight hug, forgetting all about the ant she was feeding.