The Price of Heroism

"Sadie, get out of here now!" I heard Hope yell through the earpiece I was wearing.

"Not without you guys!" I cried as I ran down to the dock, just in time to see her dive in after Giant Scott who had passed out in the ocean. "Hope!" I called desperately, tears fogging my vision. Luis wrapped an arm around me and pulled me away before I could jump in after her.

"We have to get the lab Honey," he said firmly. "It's the only way that Dr. Pym and his wife can get back." I nodded slowly and turned to follow him, chasing after the small rolling building that the crowd of people was parting for. Luis reached it first and grabbed it, waiting for me to catch up. I sprinted after him, only for the two of us to be knocked to the ground by the swell of people. Before we could get up, the building expanded back to normal size, probably because someone pressed the remote trigger, pushing us even farther away from the lab. I took a shaky breath and tried to stop the ringing in my ears. Slowly, I raised my hand to my right ear and groaned when it came back bloody. Everything around me was spinning and I couldn't even get to my feet.

"Sadie!" I heard Scott's voice call. It hurt to even move my head, and Scott gently helped me sit up before scooping me into his arms and setting me down on a bench. "Hey Kiddo." he said anxiously, doing his best to wipe the blood off of me. "How many fingers am I holding up?" I tried to make sense of the fuzziness in front of me and I stuttered out a small answer.

"S-Seven? I- I don't think that's r-right." Scott sighed sadly and shook his head, placing a small kiss to my temple. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

"It's alright," he promised gently "just sit tight, and Luis is going to watch you until we can go home. Ok?" I sniffled and gave a weak thumbs up. Scott hesitated one last time before sprinting inside the lab, Hope right on his tail. Luis helped me stay upright, looking a little worse for wear himself. I was leaning on him heavily and he was trying to keep me awake.

"Come on Honey... Sadie! Stay awake!" he said urgently. I tried not to sob in pain as I curled into a ball before finally closing my eyes.

"Sadie!"