Caretaker(s)

When I finally woke up, I found myself in my bed at Maggie and Paxton's house. My head felt like it was about to split open which probably wasn't a good sign. Before I could even try to sit up, the door opened and Maggie walked in carrying a lot of stuff. She looked startled when she saw me awake, but it quickly morphed into an expression of happiness.

"Hi Sweetness." Maggie said softly, setting everything down on the foot of the bed and moving to kiss my forehead. "How are you feeling?"

"Like crap." I mumbled with a weak smile. Maggie laughed tearfully as she smoothed my hair back.

"Paxton's working on a case. And Scott's and Cassie. We wanted to keep the house quiet for you." she explained, as she grabbed some bandages and unwrapped the ones that were around my head and ears before putting medicine on the cuts and re-wrapping my injuries.

"Wait, you've been taking care of me by yourself for.... how long?" I asked weakly.

"You've been sleeping for about two days. We couldn't get a doctor because then the FBI would know you were involved in the incident," Maggie said shakily. "And to answer your question, no I haven't been taking care of you by myself. Not that I'm ever going to tell Paxton or anyone else." I frowned and started to ask her, but she just shook her head and walked to hallway where she opened the door that led up to the attic. She walked up the ladder and had a hushed conversation with seemingly no one.

"Mom?" I called worriedly. As I struggled to move the blankets off of me, Maggie suddenly reappeared down the ladder, sending me a reassuring smile. Before I could ask what the hell was going on, heavy footsteps started climbing down the stairs. When I saw who they belonged to, a huge smile lit up my face. "Hi Steve."

"Hey Sweetheart." the soldier murmured, his smile covered by a beard that was entirely out of character for him. He moved to sit by me and cupped my face in his hand. "Do you have any idea how worried all of us were when we got the call from Scott saying you wouldn't wake up?" I was aware of the tears that were threatening to make an appearance, but didn't realize they were spilling down my face until Steve gently brushed them away with the pad of his thumb.

"Tony called me and said under no circumstance are you allowed to ever put your life in danger again or give him a heart attack again. Bucky said the same thing." Steve continued with a small smile "They both wanted to be here, but it was agreed that I was less noticeable than Tony and Buck is still recovering in Wakanda. I said I'd come in their place." I laughed weakly before pulling my blankets farther up over me and snuggling into them.

"So you've just been hiding in the attic, helping Maggie take care of me?" I asked with quietly. Steve nodded, laughing under his breath as he said it. "How long are you going to stay?"

"Few more days," he promised "just until you get your strength up." I smiled slightly, too tired to express how happy I was that he was here. For now, I just managed to scoot over to the other side of my bed and look up at him wordlessly. Steve shook his head in amusement as he crawled in next to me and stilled as I cuddled against him, laying my head on his chest, just like I used to when I was sick. "Tony says Peter was worried about you." Steve murmured, his arm wrapped protectively around me. "When you're feeling up to it, you should give him a call."

"After a nap," I mumbled "goodnight Steve."

"Goodnight Sweetheart."