Chapter 31

Chapter 31 - "Expect the worst; hope for the best"

❤️ Levy McGarden ❤️

I patiently tapped my foot, holding a tray in hand as the line slowly moved. Three months here and yet I've never gotten use to how chaotic it is in the mornings.

Three months here and I managed to get a boyfriend, too.

My first boyfriend.

To tell the truth, I never really cared about getting into a relationship. The whole ordeal has always had me skeptical.

How is that someone can stay devoted to someone that long without getting bored of them? Do people get together only because they want a family, or because of love?

Does true love exist?

It's funny. I read romance novels all the time, but I never considered myself to be a hopeless romantic. Mainly because I think romance is exactly that; fiction.

I've only experienced.. well, lust. That's what I felt for Lucy, or at least I think so. I'm still not sure about it.

But if I'm being real, it hasn't crossed my mind ever since I found out about Gajeel's feelings.

And I'm content with it staying that way, because it feels like everything is exactly how it should be.

Lucy is my best friend and I've never wanted anything more with her.

After making it through the line, I found our table and headed over. Natsu and Lucy were already there. The two appeared to be in their own world; his arm around her, both giggling about whatever they were talking about.

I sat down, placing my tray on the table. "Good morning Lulu, good morning Natsu."

"Mornin'."

"Good morning, Lev."

"Did you ever finish reading Bittersweet Lies, Lulu?" I asked, biting into my apple.

"Almost. I've had to stop and take breaks because of how intense it's getting." She snickered.

"Right! I started bawling halfway through. It's a miracle I finished it."

Suddenly I heard footsteps from behind me. Glancing over my shoulder, Gajeel towered over me as he placed his tray down and sat next to me. He turned to me with a smile and pulled me into a light side hug. "Morning."

I returned his embrace with ease, enjoying the warmth radiating off his body. Gajeel is a big guy, he doesn't smile a lot and has a tough appearance. It gives a lot of people the wrong impression, but I've never felt safer in his arms. Whenever he touches me I feel protected, comfortable; almost like a safe haven.

"Hey Gajeel." Natsu greets him with a friendly smile.

"Hey.." He responds shyly, lowering his head a bit.

He's adorable.

"What's it like having Gray as a roomate? Does he sing in the shower?" Natsu casually asked, stifling a laugh.

"I've heard him on some occasions, yeah.." Gajeel rubbed his arm, chuckling slightly.

"And he told me he doesn't sing in the shower. You know, he's lowkey a Taylor Swift fan. Does he sing any songs by her?"

Gajeel smiled. "Most of the time, but recently he sang Despacito."

Natsu cracked up laughing, making us all join in with him. As I giggled, I glanced over at Gajeel. There was a smile on his face; a full, complete smile.

Happiness suits him. It fits him well.

I've seen Gajeel smile many times ever since we met in person, but this time it's different.

It never occurred to me that I could be the one making sure he always has a smile on his face.

But I, Levy McGarden, am.

And I'll be damned if I don't make him happy.

Gajeel Redfox has always been someone dear to me. He's my best friend. Now, he's my boyfriend. Regardless of where this goes, it still won't change that fact.

All I know is that I want him in my future. Friends or lovers; but..

After seeing that smile, and realizing I could be the cause of that..

I'd prefer it as lovers.

☮️ Jellal Fernandes ☮️

I've been spending the last couple days in the library completing college applications. After researching some out of the country, my list has narrowed down to three there and one in my hometown; just to play it safe. I have a good feeling I'll be accepted to my choices, though.

I told Erza where I'd be applying, but she still hasn't given me an answer yet. There isn't any time to waste, though. As much as I'd like to wait for her.. I can't.

If I don't get this done now, I won't go to college at all. Erza is my life, but I've always wanted to continue my education and I'm going to do so regardless if it's with or without her.

I did apply to places where the possibility of them accepting us both is high, considering her previous grades weren't exactly great. They're like bookmarks; just in case she does agree to come with me. But at this point, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I'm asking a lot from her; I'm asking her to choose me or family. And like I said, I'd have to be her life for that. But I know better than anyone not to let love dominate your being, because if you do, it'll consume your soul and you'll lose all control.

Leaving my family behind is hard for me too. But I've always imagined going far away for college. I wanted to get out of that house more than anything.

I just.. never thought it would be in this way.

I thought I would still be that same miserable kid, hopelessly in love with the girl he can't have. Burying himself in his books, hoping that would be the golden ticket out of that hellhole. Anywhere, far away from there, away from the fact that he has to call the woman he loves his mom.

But coming here and being accepted into this program changed that. It changed all of that.

If I never came here, I wouldn't have taken the leap of faith. I wouldn't have seen that the girl I can't have has been hopelessly in love with me too. I wouldn't have taken off the chains that have bound my being for so long.

I'm finally free, I'm finally brave, and I'm finally not scared to go after what I want.

And while I don't know what Erza will choose, all I can do is expect the worst but hope for the best.