Chapter 25

The next morning I'm woken up to an alarm buzzing on my bedside table. I groan, looking at it to see my dad calling.
"Hello?" I ask groggily. I feel David turn next to me, and I'm assuming I woke him up.
"Taylor?" He asks suddenly, kind of alarming me.
"Is everything okay?" I ask sitting up.
"No! Taylor your mom is in the hospital! I don't know if she's going to make it," He yells into the phone. Suddenly, I'm wide awake.
"Dad, what are you talking about? What's going on?" I stand up, and grab my suitcase and throw it on the bed. David's looking extremely worriedly at me, but my attention is focused solely on my dad and packing.

"She was in a car accident on her way to work. I don't know what to do. Please come, Taylor," He pleads into the phone, and I quickly tell him I'm booking a flight and that I'll be there as soon as possible.

I feel a hand softly reach my shoulder, and I turn around to see David with worry filling his eyes.
"She's dying David. My mom is dying," I get out before I break down into tears. I collapse in his arms, and he grabs me, pulling me in a hug.
"It's okay, Taylor. Take a deep breath,"
"How could you possibly say it's okay? My mother is fucking dying!" I yell at him, and although he jumps slightly, he nods in understanding.
"I'm going to go book us a flight," He says before he heads to the living room.
"Us?" I catch on.
"I'm not letting you go through this alone Taylor," He says before leaving the room.
I throw all of the necessities into my suitcase, even though the bag is a complete mess. I don't really know what I packed, but it was the least of my worries right now.
David comes back in, grabbing a small suitcase and throwing clothes in.
"Our plane leaves in just under an hour. Just let me throw some stuff in and I'll be ready to go," He says and I nod.
I take a look in the mirror and sigh at how I look. I guess I'll be traveling in a pair of athletic shorts and a hoodie.

David comes over and grabs my hand, leading me to his car. He opens the door for me, and I groan as a thank you. I don't mean to be so rude to him, but my mind is just everywhere else but here, and my mood is so low that I can't even bother to be nicer.
I zone out on the way to the airport, and David shakes me when we arrive. He grabs both of our bags without asking, and I trail behind slowly.
We make it just in time to catch the plane, and the flight attendant smiles sympathetically toward me, as it's obvious I've been crying with the redness in my eyes.

I grab David's hand as we find out seats, and look out the window, as I think of my favorite memories with my mom.

Flashback:
I'm six years old. I come running home from the bus that's just dropped me off down the road to show my mom the gift I made her. Seeing as how this weekend is mother's day, we made cards and macaroni necklaces for our moms.
"Mom! Mom! Look what I made you!" I yell as I approach her on our porch. She takes the card and necklace into her hands and reads the card.
"I love it, baby. Thank you," She says kissing my head.

**

I'm now 13. I come running home from the bus, as my boyfriend Jason, who I considered the love of my life at the time, left me for Stacey O'Brien.
With tears in my eyes, I run up to my mom on the porch, who like she always has, was waiting for me.
"What's wrong, baby?" She says pulling me into a hug.

"Jason broke up with me for Stacey," I say into her shirt. She pulls me into the house, and immediately into the kitchen. She starts pulling out random ingredients and placing them on the counter.
"What are you doing?" I ask, wiping away some of my tears.
"We're going to make cookies," she says. For the next hour, we throw together some cookies, throwing flour and sugar at each other in the process. It made me forget all about Jason and Stacey, and everything they did.

**

I'm now 20. I pull the last of my bags out of my mom's car and stare into her eyes at the airport. The tears in her eyes are evident, but she tries to hide them.
"You know you can always come back," She says, pulling me into a hug. I nod, and hug her back, not knowing that it could possibly be the last time.

"I love you, baby," She says hugging me a little tighter.

"Mom, I"m going to miss my flight," I chuckle slightly and she pulls away.
"I'm just going to miss you," She says wiping away a tear.
"I already miss you," And with that, I face away, heading toward my gate.

Flashback over

**

As I come back to reality, I don't notice the tears that are streaming down my face. I feel David's hand on my thigh, reassuring me that everything will be okay.
We land a few minutes later, and we head to the hospital.
Once we find the room, I see my dad sitting next to my mom, with his head in his hands, but when I knock on the door, his head flies up.
"Taylor, oh thank god," He says pulling me into a hug. He doesn't let go for the next little while, but I just embrace being able to hug him again.

"Where is she?" I ask as I notice the empty bed.
"She's in surgery. She's not doing well though," He says as he notices David behind me.
"And you are?" He asks. In any circumstance, he can always be overprotective.
"I'm David," David says reaching out his hand. My dad looks at me confused.
"My boyfriend," I say, and my dad nods slowly.
"We'll deal with this later," He says, giving David a long glare. I can't help but chuckle, as I take the seat next to my dad.

We don't hear anything for a while and sit there in silence.

"Why don't we pray?" My dad says, pulling my hand into his. I go to reach for David's hand, and even though he seems unsure, he grabs one of my hands along with one of my dads.

"Dear heavenly father, I pray that you look over my wife Teresa Fuller. If it is not in your plan for her to survive this awful tragedy, I pray that you maintain your power to look over her and keep her happy while she's in heaven. We pray that you help us through the grieving process, and remember her for who she is, a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, and friend. Amen." He states.

"Amen," I say, and hear David very quietly mumble an amen.

Not even a minute later, the doctors come in.
"Mr. Fuller. I'm sorry to tell you," Is all I hear before I get thrown into hysterics.

**

I throw on my black dress and fix my black heels. David comes in, wearing a black tux, even though I half-heartedly joked that he could wear his normal attire to the funeral, seeing as how it fits the theme. He grabs my hand and kisses it, which still sends shivers down my spine.
"I love you," He says as he pulls me out of the room.
"I don't think you understand how much I appreciate you being here," I say to him. He smiles slightly at me.
"And even though my dad won't admit it, I know he appreciates having you around," I say, causing him to smile widely.

"Let's go, babe. We don't want to be late,"I never thought I'd have to go through such a traumatic experience at such a young age. Seeing her getting lowered into the ground is something I don't want to remember, but I know that I'd kill myself if I made myself forget it.

~~

I'm sorry this is so sad :( I almost teared up reading it.