Chapter 1

Author Note, May 2020:
Keep in mind this fanfic was written before the release of KoA in 2018. There will be inaccuracies with information revealed in the finale book.
I hope you will enjoy the fanfic!

All characters belong to Sarah J. Maas with the exception of a handful of characters at the end of the story.

Now, on to the story:

It had barely been an hour since Sam went to kill Farran as thundering steps came running up the stairs to the apartment. Celaena whirled towards the door and angled two daggers, ready for whatever was coming for her.

The door burst open to reveal a man with brown hair and brown eyes, eyes filled with worry and... confusion? Celaena lowered her daggers.

«We're getting on that ship now.» Sam stalked past her and into their bedroom.

«Sam, what happened? Did something go wrong?» her heart raced like a roaring river, had the mission somehow been a trap or something? Sam grabbed two bags, and tossed one to her.

«Pack only the essentials» he said as he stuffed some of his clothes into the bag as he began to explain. «I don't know who or why or even how, but Farran and all his men were dead when I got there. Not a soul was left alive at the vaults, not one of Farrans men. So I went to Jaynes house, only to find that the same happened there.»

At a loss for words she stuffed her own bag with tunics and trousers, then went with Sam to the kitchen to bring some food. «You think whoever did will come for us next?» Gods, who was capable of doing something like this?

«I have no idea, but I'm not taking any chances. We leave now.»

Shouldering their bags they left the apartment and headed for the harbour as fast as they could without looking suspicious. They didn't speak as they made the trek through the city, but Celaena had an itch between her shoulder blades. As if someone was watching their every move, and she hoped that it was only her own nerves playing tricks on her.