Chapter 52

Sam stared hard at the map outlining the surrounding areas of the city, trying to find the most suitable spot to set up their trap. The armada from the Southern Continent had finally arrived, and they had stayed up late last night to fill in the leaders on their current, and very dangerous, situation.

«Erawan's ships will arrive within the week,» he looked to Prince Sartaq and Princess Hasar. «you will take care of them on the water and by air, while the Eyllwe soldiers, Ansel's men and the silent assassins take care of the warriors that marches with the Valg Princess. Yrene, Nehemia, Lysandra, Wesley and I will take care of the Valg Princess.» Sam said, meeting the eye of the two royalties. Sartaq just nodded, but Hasar didn't seem to happy about being given orders. Luckily Yrene spoke up before the Princess could start a scene.

«How are we going to keep her away from the city? It will have to be far out, since she has very long range with her magic.» She said and frowned at the map, while taking half a step to the side, away from Chaol, who had decided to stand next to her. Looks like someone is a bit taken by the healer, sam thought.

Sam pointed to a spot on the map, atop a hill. «Nehemia, this is where you draw up the trap, and Yrene will need some protection to keep the Valg Princess from detecting her.» he said, Nehemia nodded.

«I'll draw marks on Yrene, it should be enough to keep her safe. For awhile, at least.» Nehemia said.

«Good, and when the demon arrives, I'll draw her attention and lead her into the trap.» Sam said, sounding more sure of himself then he felt. Aelin hadn't reacted to Rowan when had tried to draw her out, he could only hope that he would spark an interest somehow. If not... well, then he would die.

_______________________________________

Aelin released a long breath, then stepped up to the large double doors leading into the enormous throne room. The corset was tight around her waist, making it hard to breath, but the deep green colored flowing skirts with silver leaf embroideries were worth it. Her heart pounded in her chest, and she took another deep breath in an attempt to calm it. The day had finally come, the day she had postponed a world threatening war for. Behind those doors stood her court, her nobles, her people, her cousins and her mate, all waiting for the door to open and for her to walk in.

These past weeks had been mostly all fun and games, only now did her nerves make themselves known. Aelin turned to the window, watching her own reflection. Her hair was perfectly curled, and was arranged half up and half down, with curls cascading her face. She schooled her features to look calm, then turned back towards the double doors, her back straight and shoulders squared.

Three loud bangs slammed against the door, then they swung open.

«Her Highness, Princess Aelin Ashryver Galathynius!» The court marshal's voice boomed as she took her first steps into the throne room, and all eyes turned towards her. However, her steps did not falter, she had practice how to walk in a thousand times. The only difference now was the hundreds of faces who was all straining to get a good look at her when she gracefully walked by. She caught glimpses of her friends on the way to the dais, but kept her eyes forward as instructed. She kept her chin high, and focused on the end of the room, staring at the newly carved throne of oak before her.

_______________________________________

Darkness. Deep, unending darkness. But she did not fear it, she did not hate it. The darkness comforted her, caressed and cuddled her. She didn't want to see, didn't want to know. But she did know, she had watched when the Princess studied the marks, studied the tapestry... It had interested her, to learn more of how the worlds worked in tandem, how time and space correlated and coexisted. Neither being anything without the other. Fear had gripped her when she learned why the Princess studied these subject, but nevertheless she kept an eye open to learn as much as she could too. If only to have something else to do, to think about more than just her suffering.