Chapter 50

Aelin buttoned up her blue shirt, then straightened it before leaving her bedroom. She strode over to where Rowan sat by the table, and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before plopping into her own seat. A small tray of sandwiches was on the table, and she greedily placed four of them on her plate. Rowan's lips lifted at the corner, a slight early morning smile.

«Good morning.» She chirped. She didn't know why, but she felt especially jovial today, maybe it was because things were finally becoming right. «How is my favorite King doing today?» she asked, and began to stuff her face with food, it was delicious. He watched her for a moment, looking slightly tired and grumpy.

«Less awake than you are.» he said gruffly, and took a bite of his own food. Even though she had informed the court about their engagement, they had still been given separate rooms. To keep it 'appropriate' Lord Darrow had said, with heavy emphasize on appropriate. If they only knew, she had thought. But still, sleeping alone was strange to say the least, but she had at least been able to sleep after a while. Rowan on the other hand, not so much.

She took his hand in hers, and squeezed. «It won't be for long, Darrow is just clinging to whatever power he has left. Besides, think of how good it will be you can move back into my room.» She tilted her head to the side and bit her lip, he just grunted.

«I know, but I still don't like it.» he sighed. «And before you say it; Yes, I know you are capable of taking care of yourself.» he said when he saw she was about to speak up. She clamped her mouth shut, and suppressed a smile. Aelin rose to her feet, only to sit down on his lap, and brought her arm around his neck.

«When this war is over, I'm going to teach you how to relax.» she tapped his nose with a finger, making him growl silently at her. His eyes narrowed, but glinted with humor. She gave him a big toothy grin.

«We both need to learn that. Exactly how many times have you gone over the battle plans before breakfast?» He raised an eyebrow, and she pursed her lips.

«Five» she mumbled.«But it's not perfect yet, not without Nox's report, which is due in one month actually.» she began to trace her fingers through his hair, and Rowan closed his eyes. A low rumble sounded from his chest. «Like a house cat.» she whispered, and placed a kiss on his lips. 

«You're no better yourself, I know exactly what makes you purr, Aelin.» he mumbled against her lips, with a slight rasp in his voice.

«Is that so? Prove it.» she smiled when she felt his hands slowly travel up her back...

Three loud knocks on the door had her almost jumping out of her skin, and she let out a string of colorful curses. Rowan slid a strand of her hair behind her ear, and stroked the length of her facial scar along the way. «We'll have to continue this later, Fireheart.»

She sighed heavily, but nodded. «Come in!» she called to the one who had knocked, while climbing of off Rowan's lap. Aedion walked in, and headed straight for them. «What brings you here this early in the morning?» she asked. His lips slowly spread into a grin.

«I am a bearer of great news, cousin. The preparations for your coronation has already begun. But the second part of the news is not so good, they set the date for the coronation in three weeks.» he said as he took a seat by the table as well, and helped himself to her breakfast. 

«What? Three weeks, that's when we're supposed to meet up with our allies in Rifthold and make the final preparations.» she hissed. «This is Darrow's doing isn't it?»

Aedion nodded. «But if you push to have the coronation earlier it will make you look greedy, he's trying to bait you, Aelin.» he said carefully. Aelin snarled and began to pace back and forth by the table. Rowan just leaned into his seat with a thoughtful expression on his face.

«I don't have time for all this courtly nonsense,» she hissed, «but we'll have to work around it somehow.» She rubbed her face, and slumped back in a chair. «The plan must go on, I will just have to arrive later than the army.» 

«You want us to go without you?» Aedion asked with raised eyebrows. «I'm staying for the coronation, why can't we just postpone the time of the attack. It's not like Erawan has made any moves sine Dorian's father died.»

Rowan folded his arms. «That's exactly why we must press on. He is too quiet.» he said.

Aelin glanced at her mate, then at Aedion. Aelin leaned her arms on the table. «We can send the Ashryver armada and Rolfe to Dorian, and the Bane and the Fae stay here. Ansel should have arrived in Banjali by now, as well as the silent assassins. They will press on Morath from the south, and Dorian and Manon's forces go in from the north. But we don't make a move unless Erawan does, at least not until we get there with the rest of the forces.» she said.

Both males nodded, and Rowan met her gaze. «It might not be too much of a delay. Nox is one month from returning, and then excessive planning to infiltrate the keep in Morath will take some time.» his jaw tightened. «Getting those remaining keys are top priority.»

«Agree. Could you send some Fae to fly to Dorian and Sam to inform them of this new development, Rowan?» Aelin asked.

«Of course, M'Lady.» he winked at her, she bit the inside of her cheek. She would definitely want him to call her that again. Aedion just rolled his eyes at them, and rose to leave. But stopped and looked at Aelin.

«By the way, your presence is needed for the planning of the coronation today. You need to begin practicing the rituals until it's flawless, and you're starting with the Coronation Waltz today.» he said, then he swiftly left the room as Aelin groaned.

She turned to Rowan. «I was kind of hoping it would be like yours, simple and to the point... But it sounds like it will be a lot more intricate than that.» she grimaced. Then a sly grin spread across her face, and she turned to Rowan.

He narrowed his eyes at her. «What?» he said warily.

«It takes two people to practice the Coronation Waltz.» She wiggled her eyebrows, mischief dancing in her eyes. «Normally that waltz would be danced the most eligible candidate for marriage, but...» she dragged out the last word. «since I'm already betrothed, that "eligible candidate" is you.» 

Rowan winced. «You can't be serious.»

«Oh, but I am, my love. You're coming with me to the dance lessons.» she said sweetly. She grabbed his hand and dragged him out of the room and down to the giant ballroom where the instructor was waiting.