Chapter 37

Aedion's escort led him through the bright streets of Varese. Curious faces tried to get a look at him as he rode by, but he kept his hood up not wanting too much attention before reaching the limestone castle. He could spot it far away now, coming ever closer to his relatives.

What would he even say to them? Hello, maybe you could help us this time around, even though you ignored us last time? Probably not the best way to persuade them to aid them in the war, but maybe bluntness would be the mist effective. Anyway, he would soon find out.

They approached a large gate that separated the castle from the rest of the city. His heart fluttered slightly as the gate swung open, and he and his escort passed through it into the courtyard beyond. He dismounted his horse just as the doors leading into the castle opened and two figures came out.

A heavy crown sat upon the head of the elder looking, dark haired man, whilst the young man wore a simpler crown upon his head. The King and the Crown Prince, Aedion realized as he straightened his back and began walking towards the two men. The Prince's face was blank, neutral, as if he did his very best to hide his emotions. King Glaston's eyes, however, were hard and unyielding.

«Seize him.» the King ordered. The guards, who had escorted him all the way here, rushed in to grab him or point their weapons at him. He didn't fight them, he just let them hold him. This was not really unexpected, they must have heard of the things he had been doing all these years. King Glaston stepped closer, his eyes glaring into Aedion's. «Did you think we didn't know about your ties to the King of Adarlan?» King Glaston said, voice trembling with barely restrained anger. «And using my deceased niece's name to gain entry... even sending my son a letter in her name. You are a disgrace to this bloodline, Aedion.»

Before Aedion could respond to the accusations, the immigration officer from the ship spoke up. «Your Majesty, may I speak?» he said as he kneeled before the King.

«You may, Lord Rogbart.» King Glaston said curtly, and motioned for the officer to rise.

«Prince Aedion travelled with Prince Rowan Whitethorn of Doranelle, and a woman claiming to be your niece, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius, Your Majesty. She did have Ashryver eyes, and she had the same shade of hair as Prince Aedion, I checked her myself.» Lord Rogbart said. King Glaston's eyes narrowed in thought, and Prince Galan shifted on his feet.

«Then why has she not been brought here as well, Lord Rogbart?» the King said slowly.

«She claimed to have business to attend to, and left with the Fae Prince shortly after we came ashore, Your Majesty.» he replied. «She said that she would come to Varese once it was taken care of.»

King Glaston nodded at the officer, then turned his attention back to Aedion, who was still being held by the guards. «Last I heard you were loyally serving the King of Adarlan, a traitor to your people.» he said slowly.

«I had no choice. It was either working for him or death, I chose to work for him. That way I was able to help the people of Terrasen as much as I could after the invasion, I am loyal to Aelin.» Aedion said, keeping his head held high as he did. The King stared at him for a long time, examining his face for any signs of a lie.

«The girl claiming to be my niece... is it truly her?» He asked carefully, eyes still hard on Aedion.

«She is.» Aedion said, and stared unflinchingly right back at his uncle. Prince Galan glanced between the two of them, but kept quiet. The King's lips narrowed into a thin line at his tone.

«What sort of business does she have here in Wendlyn, and why did she not come here directly?» the King asked.

«After this warm welcome, why the hell should I tell you?» he would not let his uncle trample him. Besides, he had no reason to know what Aelin's plans were, not yet at least. The King looked like he was about to burst with anger.

«Father, let's give him the benefit of the doubt, even Lord Rogbart said the girl was an Ashryver.» Prince Galan said calmly, trying to dampen his fathers temper. The King and the Prince stared at each other for a moment before the King turned back to Aedion.

«You are free to roam the castle, but you will be watched closely until she arrives. Is that clear?» the King said roughly.

«Yes, sir. I will not cause any trouble.» Aedion replied.

«Release him. Come dinner will soon be served.» his uncle said and turned on his heel walking into the castle.

Prince Galan's face relaxed and softened, then he looked at Aedion and smiled. Aedion gave a half smile back. It seemed that at least the his cousin were open to listen.

——————————————————

After running for days they had finally reached their first destination. Aelin's knees wobbled at the sight of the fortress in the mountain, she was looking forward to tumble into a nice, soft bed right now. They slowed to a jog when they reached the large ward stones, then they walked the rest of the way to the fortress.

Sweat ran down her body in a steady stream, and her shirt clung to her skin. A bath first, then she could tumble into bed. The guards posted on the wall only glanced at them, but did nothing as they recognized Rowan. They would not stay long, just one night, maybe two and then they would continue on towards Doranelle.

An old demifae came out from a door and came towards them, a gentle smile on his wrinkled face.

«Welcome, what can I do for you, Prince?» the male said. Emrys, that was his name. She remembered him, remembered working as a scullery maid in his kitchen. The male smiled at her, kindness shining in his eyes.

«A room for the night.» Rowan said in his usual curtly manner. He needed a good nights rest too, the exhaustion was evident in his eyes. He looked at her.

Introduce yourself with whatever name you wish.

What's the point? He already knows who I am.

She smiled at Emrys. «I'm Aelin, it's a pleasure to meet you, sir.» The old male's smile deepened.

«No need to call me sir, Princess, I'm just the cook. And the pleasure is mine, I'm Emrys.» he said.

«'Just the cook'...» she clicked her tongue, «if it hadn't been for you, these people would be eating meat on a stick every day.» She said and gestured to the guards up on the battlement. «Being a cook is just as important as any other profession, if not more so.»

«Your words warms my heart, Princess. Come I'll show you to a room.» he said and gestured for them to follow. She already knew the way, so did Rowan, but they let Emrys lead then anyway.

«Please, call me Aelin.» she said as she and Rowan trailed after him.

When they reached their room, both Aelin and Rowan headed straight for the bathroom to get cleaned up. Emrys left them, saying he would have some food brought up in a moment. They quickly washed themselves, and dressed in clean clothes.

They ate their food in silence, both too tired to keep up conversation while they ate.

It was midday, but still she felt like going to bed. All that running and sleeping under the trees had utterly exhausted her. But on the other hand she wanted to speak with Emrys, and she wanted to meet Luca too. A yawn broke through her defenses and her eyes drooped, without a word she climbed into bed and just laid down on top of the blanket.

Tomorrow, she would speak with them tomorrow. She heard Rowan approach, then a blanket was draped over her. Then the bed shifted as he too climbed into bed, and he leaned in pressing a kiss to her temple.

«Rest up, Fireheart.» he muttered and laid down beside her.

She was already drifting of, but she managed to say something that sounded like 'nah-nuh', before sleep claimed her.