Chapter 71

Aelin stood beside her mate and watched as the last enemy soldiers dropped their weapons in surrender. The Ironteeth witches had fled once they realized all their matrons were gone, but Aelin knew they would have to be dealt with at some point. Right now, however, she was more than ready to finally lay down her weapons for a while. She glanced up at Rowan, finally letting it sink in that she was with him again, and she was not going to die. She took his hand, interlacing her fingers with his, then smiled up at him. 

«It seems like your last day wasn't your last day after all.» he said with a wry grin, eyes gleaming with happiness and love. She hadn't allowed herself to miss him too much over the years, but now she did not have to dam up her feelings for her mate any longer. A wry grin made its way unto her face.

«All that drama, and then Little Me steals the entire show.» she said with a dramatic huff. Rowan barked out a laugh. Warmth bloomed in her chest at the sound of it, she wanted to hear him laugh like that more often.

«How does it feel to be outmaneuvered by yourself?» he squeezed her hand. She gave him a wry grin.

«At least I've learned how it feels like to be on the receiving end of my secret schemes. It is certainly more enjoyable to be the schemer, most definitely.» she said, and chuckled before she fell silent. She turned to look towards the hill where she and Rowan had left Young Aelin and Sam over an hour ago, but now they were walking hand in hand towards them. The she looked back at her mate. «But all is well that ends well.» she said with smirk on her lips. 

Sam and Young Aelin came up to them and looked over the remnants of the battlefield. Aelin looked Young Aelin up and down, noting her stance. «Are you alright?» she asked her. Young Aelin turned her gaze towards her, a faint smile on her lips.

«Yes, just exhausted.» she said, sounding as if she could fall asleep any moment. Not really surprising, considering that she had been dead earlier. «Do we have a body count yet?» she asked and looked out across the field again, a sad look were present in her eyes. 

«Not yet, but we're working on it.» Rowan said, he glanced at Young Aelin. «You should get some rest, and we'll take care of the aftermath.»

«But--» she started, but Sam interrupted her.

«No buts, Aelin, you're coming with me to the tent.» he said. She looked at him for awhile, then she sighed with resignation.

«Fine, let's go.» she said. «I'll see you two later.» Young Aelin said to her and Rowan before heading to the camp.

Aelin watched the pair walk away. Her Young One was in good hands, she thought with a small smile.

Rowan cleared his throat. «There's something I need to know...» he said slowly. She turned to him and arched an eyebrow. «Your birthday is in two weeks, so I need to know how many candles to put on your cake.» he said with a glint in his eyes. She huffed a laugh, and grinned up at him.

«That must be the sweetest way to ask a woman about her age.» she said.

«You keep avoiding the subject.» he said with pursed lips. She reached up to ruffle his hair, but he grabbed her wrist. 

«If you're asking just to know how long I've been alone with the demon then I won't answer you.» she said, giving him a slight glare.

«I need to know so that I can thoroughly make love to you to make up for our lost time.» he purred, and leaned in close to her face. The look in his eyes took her breath away, and she struggled to keep her breathing even.

A low chuckle escaped her. «Very smooth, buzzard. Maybe we should retire to a more... remote area.» she bit her lip. His gaze become ravenous, and his arm went around her waist, pulling her close and his other hand cupped her cheek. She brought her arms around his neck and pulled him down to claim his lips, and kissed him the way she should have kissed the day they had finally been reunited. 

_______________________________________

Aelin began to untie the straps on Sam's armor, she hadn't noticed before, but there were a lot of blood on him. Once his armor was off she began to examine him for any injuries, but aside for a few minor cuts and bruises he was fine. He said nothing as he stepped around her and began to undo the straps on the back of her cuirass while she removed the vambraces from her arms. 

Once the last piece of armor fell to the ground, she turned and looked into his eyes. She noted the fear in his eyes, her temporary death still haunting his mind. She put a hand to his cheek, and stepped closer to him, his arms immediately went around her waist. «I'm fine, Sam.» she whispered.

«I know.» he said. «It's just... has there been no, uhm, consequences? It wasn't exactly a small feat what you did.» he looked at her with concern.

She took a deep breath, and exhaled through her nose. «I can't shift anymore, and my fire is gone. I've tried using it several times, but... it's gone.» she said quietly. Sam opened his mouth to speak, but she continued. «But it's fine, I have everything I will ever need right here.» she said and tapped a hand on his chest. «Besides it was a small price to pay to stop the Valg, and to make sure Rowan didn't lose his wife a second time.» she smiled up at him. 

«It doesn't matter. You're still the hottest woman I've ever known.» he said, then began tugging her towards the cot. «And there are many things I'd like to do to show you how hot I think you are, but you look like you're falling asleep on your feet.» he said with a quiet chuckle.

«Maybe I'm just dazzled by your handsome face.» she said, while lying down on the cot, and Sam nestled in next to her.

«Then let me dazzle you to sleep, Aelin.» he smiled as she yawned. Then she smiled before slipping into the land of dreams.