Ten Years Later - Part 2

Amber half ran through the portal and into a world with dazzling colors. The grass was a vibrant blue color, like the sapphire on her mothers ring, and the leaves on the trees had different shades of blue and purple, some were even silver. It was nighttime, but the clear starry sky and the fireflies lit up the forest enough for her to see clearly. The adults stepped out of the portal behind her, and she heard her parents gasp at the wondrous beauty of the forest around them. Only Auntie 'Lin and Uncle Rowan had been here before.

«It's amazing!» she shrieked and ran over to a giant red flower, and smelled it. «This is already my favorite world. Where's the unicorns?» She glanced around the forest, but could see no sort of wildlife anywhere, except for the fireflies. Uncle Rowan crouched down next to her, and gently stroked the petals of the giant red flower.

«The unicorns are a very peaceful species, and highly intelligent as well. They are observing from a distance to determine if we are peaceful as well.» Uncle Rowan said. «They will come soon, it's been a few years since Aelin and I were here last, but some of them will recognize us.»

Just as he said that, Amber spotted some movement in between the trees. She slowly rose to her feet, and tried to get a better view. She stared in awe as three tall unicorns slowly walked towards them. The one walking in the front was a glittering silver with a violet horn, one of the unicorns flanking the first one was a deep red color with a green horn, and the last one was a shiny gold with a silver horn. The three magical creatures stopped a few feet from where she and Uncle Rowan stood, and her uncle bowed his head to the creatures. Amber quickly followed his example and curtsied to the silver unicorn.

Well met, friends. She could hear the words clearly, but the creature had not opened it's mouth to speak. She looked at him with puzzled expression on her face. The Silver one turned it's head and looked at her.

You must be King Rowan's niece. I've heard a lot about you, Little One. My name Lucrane, and I am the Elder of our kind.

«My name is Amber Cortland Galathynius, and it's very nice to meet you Elder Lucrane.» she said, and curtsied again. More unicorns appeared from within the forest, and she locked eyes with a brown one with an orange horn. She could have sworn he was smiling with his eyes. The brown one stepped up to her and lowered it's head, looking straight into her eyes. He had big brown eyes, just like she did, and she found herself instantly feeling drawn to that unicorn. «And what's your name?» she asked him.

I am Skágè, and I'd like to give you a tour of our home.

She beamed up at him. «Really? I'd love that, thank you.» she said, smiling from ear to ear. The first three unicorns walk with Uncle Rowan over to where her mother, father and Auntie 'Lin stood. Skágè layed down on the ground, he was even bigger than an Asterion horse and his head was almost as long as her body.

Climb on, Little One.

Amber quickly climbed unto his back, and grabbed his mane so that she wouldn't fall of, which would be eternally embarrassing. She was a strong rider, since she would often go on riding trips with her parents into Oakwald in search of the Great Stag. Skágè rose to his feet and began a slow trot into the forest, and Amber waved to her parents who was speaking with the other unicorns, they smiled and waved back.

_______________________________________

Aelin felt Rowans hand stroke down the length of her spine, sending sparks of delight down her back. She knew her heart would have fluttered at the caress, but her heart hadn't beat since the day Maeve and Cairn replaced it with a stone heart. She usually didn't think a bout it much, except when she missed how it felt to have a racing heart because of her mate. She blinked, bringing her attention back to the conversation between Lucrane and Young Aelin. When she had found this place a few years ago, she and Lucrane had spoken in length about her story, so it was no surprise that he was interested in Young Aelin's side of the timeline as well.

Lucrane turned his silvery head and stared straight into her eyes.

Fae Queen Aelin, I believe with the help of my companions that we could aid you with you condition.

She immediately touched a hand to her stomach. Was something wrong with the baby? If so, why hadn't she sensed anything? She noticed that Rowan tensed up as well, he too was worried for their unborn child. She gave Lucrane a questioning look, hoping that he would explain.

Not the child, my dear, but your heart. His eyes glittered in the moonlight, and he cocked his head to the side.

«My heart... but that's impossible.» she said, not daring to believe that there was a way to fix her.

With the three of us, under the light of the full moon, I believe we can. He looked to her friends. Please step back.

The other two unicorns stepped up on either side of Lucrane, then as one they lowered their heads. Her breathing quickened as their horns pointed right at her chest, inching closer until they all touched above her heart. Suddenly power pulsed through their horns, making them flash and sparkle even more than usual. Warmth spread through her, first only through her chest, then it coursed through her entire body. She gasped, but resisted the urge to step away from them.

The light suddenly pulsed more rapidly, no not pulsed. It was shooting from them and into her. She gritted her teeth and closed her eyes as their otherworldly magic worked its way through her. As one, the unicorns stepped back, and Aelin clutched her chest. Rowan rushed to her side, asking her repeatedly if she was alright. But she paid no attention to him, just held her hand to her chest. Thud, thud, thud. It was beating.

She raised her head, looking up at Lucrane and his companions. Then she looked at Rowan, and she broke out crying and laughing at the same time and threw her arms around him.

_______________________________________

Amber and Skágè galloped through the mystical blue and purple forest, then slowed down to a trot as they neared the clearing they had left her family earlier. The ride had been, he had shown her a waterfall that looked like liquid gold, but it was just water. And after that he had taken her to a luminescent tree that glowed pink, a breathtaking sight and she would definitely visit this world, and Skágè, again.

They past through the trees and into the clearing, and Amber frowned at the scene. Auntie 'Lin was crying, and Uncle Rowan was holding her. Her parents looked happy, but there were tears in their eyes as well. What had happened here?

«Thank you for showing me your home, Skágè, it was absolutely wonderful.» she said, and slid of his back.

The pleasure was mine, my friend.

She smiled up at him as he nuzzled her with his nose, then she headed towards her mother and father. Auntie 'Lin straightened and began thanking Lucrane and the other unicorns while wiping away her tears. Amber took her mothers hand and looked up at her questioningly. «Is something wrong, mother?» she asked worriedly. Her mother lay an arm around her shoulders.

«No, sweetie, quite the opposite. Lucrane healed Auntie 'Lin's heart.» she said, and smiled reassuringly down at her.

«So it works properly now?» she asked.

That it does, Little One. Lucrane said in her head. And I can also say that her child is healthy, and is very strong just like his mother.

«Thank you, Lucrane, this is... I could I ever repay you for this?» Auntie 'Lin said with a thick voice.

There is no need for that. He said, eyes glimmering in the moonlight.

They spent the rest of the night in that world, eating strange fruit and sharing tales from their lands. Amber often saw her aunt put a hand to her chest, as if not quite believing what had happened and she had to reassure herself time after time that her heart was no longer made of stone. When dawn came they reopened the portal, and said their goodbyes and gave promises of coming back again. Amber gave Skágè a big hug and peck a kiss on his muzzle, before waving goodbye to him and walked through the portal back to Doranelle and their own world.