Chapter 6

Yrene practically tumbled into bed that night, not bothering with changing into a nightgown. After the first survivors had been brought to the tower, and all healers had been needed as more and more were brought in. There were ruk search parties out at all hours looking for any sign of life along the shoreline.

Those that had died were kept in the morgues, until someone could identify an individual. So many dead. No one had an overview of how many ships had gone down in that vicious storm, but by looking at body count and the few survivors it had be at least seven or eight ships.

Yrene sighed as her thoughts strayed to the brown haired man, Sam Cortland was his name. She couldn't help but feel embarrassed at how unprofessional she had been when she recognized the description of the stranger from Innish. The hope that became despair in Sams eyes as she told him the girl had not been found yet had been like a punch in gut.

While worrying for her saviours wellbeing she drifted of to a restless sleep.

_______________________________________

Her feet hurt. Her body was aching and exhausted. Her head was throbbing and spinning like crazy. Every breath was painful.

But she had to keep moving. Had to find Sam.

The stupid ocean was to her left, and she had no idea if she was walking in the right direction. Or if she was even on the Southern Continent at, for she knew she could on some tiny island walking in circles.

The world toppled over and she suddenly had sand and grass in her face. She tried to get up, but her limbs refused to cooperate.

Then world went dark.

_______________________________________

«There! Found another.» Sartaq said while sending Kadara into a dive straight for the woman face down by the beach.

Jumping of right as Kadara touched down he went straight for the girl, putting two fingers at her throat. Her skin was ice cold. «Alive! Check the others on the beach.» he turned girl over then grabbed a spare cloak from Kadaras saddle to drape over her.

When all the bodies had been checked, it turned out the woman was the only survivor of this group. They tied the bodies to the ruks, when that was finished Sartaq went to get the girl. As he bent to lift her up she stirred slightly, and her eyes cracked open. Stunning blue eyes ringed with gold met his black ones.

«You're gonna be fine, I'm taking you to Antica. The healers there will take care of you.»

She only blinked once at him before she drifted of again.

_______________________________________

Rapid knocking on her door brought Yrene out of her dreams. She groaned as dragged herself out of bed and went to the door. A young tired looking acolyte was outside her room.

«Another search party has returned from the eastern shoreline, only one survivor, a woman.» the young girl said.

«Alright, you should get some rest. You look like you're sleep walking.»

The young acolyte just nodded and headed down the hallway, while Yrene went the other way to the infirmary.

As she entered the infirmary she spotted a small group of people, two women and man carrying someone.  One of the women, another healer, a few years older than Yrene, gestured to an empty bed and and he black haired man, Prince Sartaq, lay the woman down on the bed. And that's when she saw the girl. It was her.

«Mary, could go to the other infirmary and bring me Sam Cortland? I'll take care of the girl.» she said to the other healer, who nodded and left the room.

«Well now that she's in good hands, Borte and I will head back out. See you later, Yrene Towers!» Sartaq said as he and Borte left too. Yrene just waved them off as she began to remove the girls clothing so that she could examine her.

No wounds, a lot of bruising but no broken bones. Lucky, she had been very lucky. Yrene directed her magic to see if there were any internal injuries. Other than a concussion.

Her face was even lovelier now without all the bruises and the black eye she had had last time they met.

As Yrene draped a blanket over the girl footsteps sounded behind her. She turned to see Sam entering the room.

_______________________________________

The healer that had asked him to come with her said nothing as she led the way. He did not know if this was good news or bad, though he prayed with all he had that it would be good news.

They reached a door and the healer held it open for him as he entered. The room was similar to the infirmary he had been in but a bit smaller, fewer beds too.

He spotted the healer from the day before right away, and saw that she was smiling at him as she stepped away from the bed behind her.

Golden hair covered the pillow. He couldn't move fast enough as he rushed to her bed. Tears slid down his faced as kissed her forehead and stroked her cheeks. Alive, she was alive.

Yrene went to the opposite side of the bed and sat down on a chair. «With some rest she will be fine. She has a concussion, but other than that and bruising she's fine.»

«Thank you» was all he managed to say, his voice thick with emotion.

After Yrene left to take care of some other patients, Sam stayed by Celaenas bed. He sat by her bed, holding her hand through night. He spoke of all the things they could do, the places they would see. He didn't know if she could hear him, but he spoke to her anyway.