Chapter 44

Now there was only one more thing left to do before she could return to the war awaiting on the continent. Aelin leaned against the railing on the ship, and watched the distant horizon. A chill breeze danced across her face, and closed her eyes and breathed it in. It reminded her of home, of the castle nestled into the mountainside amongst pine trees and snow.

The sound of weapons clanging against each other came from behind her, Aedion and Rowan had been going on for a long time now.  Someone came to stand next to her, but she kept her eyes closed until the breeze had disappeared. She turned her face to find Galan standing next to her.

«So what is the pirate lord like? You mentioned that you had met him once.» he said, and looked at her curiously.

«Well, he is pragmatic, and he cares a great deal about his crew.» she said. «But he also holds grudges, against me especially.» a wry smile made its way across her face.

«Why does he have a grudge against you?» Galan said and raised an eyebrow at her, making her laugh a little.

«For no good reason, really.» she said and shrugged. «Sam and I thrashed his town, disabled all his ships, ruined his watch tower and helped two hundred slaves escape from him. Safe to say he wasn't very pleased with our visit...» she gave him her best innocent smile that she could conjure. He slowly shook his head, and grinned at her.

«And you still think it's a good idea to go back there.» he said slowly, eyes glinting at her.

«We need him, and the Mycenians.» she looked back out across the ocean. She wasn't really sure how to convince him to join them this time. She had remembered too late that Lysandra's sea dragon form had been an important factor the first time around. She hoped her plan would work...

«Do we really? We have the Eyllwe rebel, the Terrasen rebels, the Bane, Crochan witches and most of the Adarlanian armies. How much difference will his fleet make?»

«You forgot Ansel's army and the silent assassins...» she said jokingly, and he just huffed at her. She sighed «The thing is that we don't really know how ready Erawan is, or how far he has gotten with his... experiments. Better to be over-prepared than to die a painful death or be possessed by demons.» a shiver ran down her spine as the memories of the wyrdstone heart flickered across her mind.

He looked at her for a long time, trying to get a read on the emotions that flickered in her eyes. «Do you think the plan will work?» he said after a while.

She took a deep breath, and watched a seagull fly by. They were nearing land. «It has to, it's the best we've got.» she gave her cousin a half smile.

_______________________________________

She stepped out on solid ground, and pulled the hood low enough to cover most if her face. Rowan, Aedion and Galan were close behind. She let Aedion and Galan lead the way, while she trailed behind them with Rowan at her side. Since they couldn't strong arm him with a Valg attack, and Lysandra was in Eyllwe, their plan danced on the edge of a ravine known as Aelin's manners. She hoped that it would be enough.

They walked through the dirty streets until they reached the best tavern in time, The Sea Dragon. Which also was Rolfe's official office. She grabbed Rowan's hand and squeezed it tightly, in desperate need to feel his strength and assurance. Her eyes met his.

You'll do fine, I'll be there. And so will your cousins. He said, and stroked his thumb over the back of her hand.

I don't know... maybe we should just go straight to plan 2... she furrowed her brow, her lips pursed.

I think it's called plan b, Fireheart.

If I use numbers I can have an infinite number of back up plans. She smirked up at him. His eyes crinkled with silent laughter.

«Are you two done staring yet? Rolfe is coming.» Aedion said, raising an eyebrow at them. Sure enough, the Pirate Lord was heading straight towards where they stood in front of the tavern. He stopped in front of them and crossed his arms.

«Well, well, well. Two princes and one King, if my reports are correct. What do I owe this pleasure?» Rolfe said as he looked over all of them. Aedion and Galan were not wearing a hood, neither was Rowan who was instead wearing his spiked crown. Aelin on the other hand, was hiding in the shadows of her hood. «I have one rule that all must follow when meeting with me. No hoods. I want to see who I'm speaking too.» Rolfe said sternly, staring hard at her. Rowan, however stepped in before she had decided to pull of her hood or not yet.

«Your reports were a bit off, Captain Rolfe. I'd like to introduce you to my betrothed, the Princess of Terrasen, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius.» Rowan said, sounding awfully jovial about the whole thing.

«Makes no difference who she is. The hood needs to cone off.» Rolfe said.

She saw Aedion and Galan exchanging glances, probably contemplating how horribly wrong this could go. She sighed heavily, glanced up at Rowan, then she kept her gaze on Rolfe as she pulled of her heavy hood. It was fascinating the way Rolfe's face changed colours. From a deep tan to white, then it turned red. She tried to smile pleasantly at him as best as she could.

«Hello, long time no see.» she said sheepishly.

«You!» he exclaimed, and reached for the rapier at his side. But he froze as all her companions did the same, but no swords were drawn yet. She raised her hands to show that she held no weapons.

«This is a diplomatic visit, regarding the war.» she said calmly. She swallowed hard, but kept her face calm and kind. She took a deep breath. «And I've come to pay for the damages I caused last time I was here.»

Rolfe stared at her for a long time, still keeping his hand on his rapier. «None of you bear weapons while you're here, Jacqueline will keep an eye on them until you leave. You have two days, girl, and if you haven't left by then I will fulfill the promise I made.» he said, then walked into the tavern. They followed inside, and began to remove all their weapons, placing it ob the counter before Jacqueline. Then they went to the upstairs office where Rolfe waited for them.

Aelin went and sat down in the chair in front of Rolfe's desk, then fished out a huge bag of gold coins and placed it on the desk. «I think this should cover it, and some extra for bodily harm.» she said, gesturing to the bag and looked at the receipt that hung by a knife on the wall. Rolfe barely glanced at it before glaring at her again. The others took their seats as well, Rowan and Aedion to her right, and Galan to her left.

«Now that that is settled,» Galan said, «we'd like to speak of recruiting you and your Mycenians to fight with us against the Valg.»

«The Mycenians doesn't exi....»

«Cut the crap, Rolfe, we all know that you are the heir to the Mycenians, and that you know where they hide.» Aelin cut in before he got to finish. If looks could kill she would have died from the glare he sent her way. Rowan nudged her with his foot.

Cool your embers, Fireheart.

«No. That's my answer, I will not fight for you. Definitely not for this child.» he sneered at her, and she schooled her features to keep herself from doing anything stupid. «Are you even the real princess, or are you just posturing as her so that I won't kill you?»

She willed calm into her veins. Best behaviour, she reminded herself. «If the likeness between me and Prince Aedion is not enough, then the Ashryver eyes should be proof enough. We all have them.» she said calmly, but fixed her gaze on the pirate. «If you join us you will be granted Lordship over Ilium, that once belonged to the Mycenians, and you would also be recognized as King of all Pirates by Terrasen, Wendlyn and Doranelle.» she said, and she saw that both Galan and Rowan nodded.

She rose to her feet and stepped around the desk to stand in front of Rolfe, who stood up as well. She squared her shoulders. «I do not regret freeing those slaves, and I would do it all over again if I had to. But I do apologize for all the damages I caused you and the town.» Rolfe just kept staring at her, lips pressed tightly together. She kept her expression sincere, willing him to believe her, to accept the apology. He looked to her companions,then to the large bag of coin, then back at her.

«I will make you no promises today, girl, but I will consider it.» he said tightly. She let some of her relief show and tilted her lips in a small smile.

«That's better than a no, at least.» she said lightly.