Chapter 30

Rowan, Aedion and the witches made out of the tunnel a few seconds before the hellfire ignited. Aedion and the witches jumped out to the side away from the entrance, Rowan didn't bother. Aelin was wounded, but he had no idea of the severity of the injury. He had to get to the castle, now.

The deafening boom covered all other sounds, and the earth shook beneath his feet. A wind raced past him, and he could feel his magic bloom inside him once more.

In the blink of an eye he shifted into his hawk form, and bent the winds to push him towards the castle and the fiery Princess within it.

_______________________________________

Dorians heart almost stopped as he saw his fathers blade slash across Aelins face, and her blood began pouring from the gaping wound as she staggered back. Dorian roared at his father as he focused his magic on grabbing the King, and tossed him hard straight up in the air while at the same time he sprinted over to Aelin. He heard a thud as his father hit the floor, and he glanced at him and found him motionless on the floor. He turned back to Aelin. «Are you alright, how bad is it?»

She held a hand to the wound, blood leaking between her fingers, she looked at him wide eyed. That had been way too close. «I... I'm fine, he only got my cheek.» she said, a bit shaken. He was about to reply when the entire castle rattled and deafening sound filled the world, followed by a wind thar kissed his skin.

A light flashed from where Aelin stood, she gad gotten her magic back. The King stumbled to his feet, surprisingly still able to stand after that fall, but of course he was not like other men.

Now that they both had their magic they could move on to phase two of their plan. Dorian began to draw up his magic, willing it to become light, bright burning light.

«You are both dead!» the king roared and blackness came flying at them in a big tidal wave.

«Now!» Aelin shouted, and they both launched their magic at him simultaneously.

Aelin wrapped her fire around the king holding him in place, while Dorian speared the light he had made into his fathers head. The King screamed as Dorian filtered through him, only targeting the darkness of the Valg.

Last time his father had died, but maybe, just maybe he could save him from the demon and finally get to know his real father. He singed away any traces of the Valg demon until he heard the black ring clatter to the floor.

Aelin let the fire disperse, and Dorian pulled back his magic as his father dropped to his knees, then crumbled to the floor.

——————————————————

The blast had caused momentary confusion among the Kings soldiers, and the rebels and witches had taken full advantage of that. Especially the witches, Sam noted as the amount of bodies on the end of the street was a lot bigger than the ones where he stood.

The adrenalin from the fighting still pumped through him as he surveyed the street around him. They had lost quite a few rebels in the fight, but far less than they would have if Manon hadn't showed up with the Crochans.

There were still fighting going on elsewhere in the city, the clanging of weapons and shouting men reached him where he stood among the bodies. He made to go help the other fighters, but groaned as searing pain lanced down his thigh.

Looking down he found a huge, gaping wound that was bleeding quite heavily. Cursing under his breath, Sam unsheathed a dagger and cut of a piece of his cloak. He tied the piece of cloth tightly around the wound, wincing as he did, to stop the bleeding.