Chapter 24

«How are the preparations going, Ren?» Aelin asked as she strode into the kitchen where Ren and Sam sat.

«It's all going according to the schedule... your Highness.» Ren answered a bit tersely. Aelin sat down next to Sam and grabbed an apple from a bowl at the table.

«You don't have to call me that, at least not in private.» she said before she bit into the apple. «Anyway, we've things on a roll as well. Aedion and Rowan are scouting for the wyrdhounds as we speak.»

«And where will you be? Sitting here while we fight?» Ren said, his face tight and rigid. He clearly didn't like her very much, but she hoped that would change when he got to know her better.

«No, that would be boring.» she gave him a rueful grin. «I'll be with Dorian, in the castle fighting his father.» She said while looking him straight in the eyes. Sam chuckled beside her at Rens surprised look.

«You will be fighting the king?» he said, doubt coating every word. Sam turned to her.

«You know, Aelin, that sounds like a challenge, don't you think?» Sam said giving her his mischievous grin. Aelin leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms and looked at Ren contemplatively.

«You're quite right, Sam, it does sound like a challenge. What do you say Ren? You and me in a sparring match?» she raised an eyebrow at him, coaxing him to say yes.

«Don't expect me to go easy on you, princess.» he said and stood up.

«I wouldn't have it any other way, my friend.» she said as she too stood up and went for the open area down in the warehouse.

Once they were downstairs they faced each other, drawing their twin swords. She angled her blades at him, and let the calm enter her as she look for where to land her first blow.

They slowly circled each other, weapons raised and eyes locked. Ren broke first and launched at her, swiping for her side. But she had been waiting. She deflected him, then spun and sliced for his upper arm. Ren jumped back, and went low slicing for calves. Aelin jumped up and somersaulted over his head, and spun a kick at him hitting his shoulder.

Ren stumbled, but gathered himself quickly and retreated a few steps. He eyed her raised blades and a small smirk appeared on his lips.

This time she attacked first, feinting left the swiped swiftly from the right. He met both her blades, and exchanged several more blows. Slicing, thrusting, ducking until their blades met in a cross between them. For brief moment they just looked at each other over their blades, then Ren hooked a foot behind hers and pulled her foot out from beneath her.

She tumbled to the ground and rolled out of the way as one of Rens blades came swooshing down towards her. She jumped to her feet, twisted and slammed the hilt of her blade into his arm. Ren dropped his blade and Aelin kicked it out of the way.

«Ready to give up, Ren Allsbrook?» she drawled at him, swiping her blades in the air in front of her.

«In your dreams.» he said as they began circling again.

«How presumptuous of you to think that I'd dream of you at all.» she smirked at him again.

Ren huffed a low laugh, then ran at her again. She side stepped, but he followed and slammed a shoulder into her chest, knocking the breath out if her for a second. Aelin stumbled back, and brought her blades up right as Ren knocked his hilt against her wrist making her drop her blade.

Now they were both left with one sword each, and their dance ensued. They hacked, slashed and swiped at each other until they were both drenched in sweat. Winded, Aelin feinted to the right, but was met by Ren elbow straight to the face. Black spots filled her vision as she stumbled backwards, she blinked rapidly to clear her eyes. Blood trickled from her nose, staining the front of her shirt. At the sight of it Ren hesitated slightly, and Aelin took that opportunity to feint to the left, then hooked her foot behind his, just like he had earlier, and sent him tumbling to the ground. She pointed her blade at his heart.

«Dead.» she said breathlessly. «You fought really well.» she held a hand out to him to help him up. He glanced at it then grasped it as he rose.

«You weren't too bad yourself.» he gave her a half grin. «Sorry about the nose.»

«Don't be, it was my mistake.» she shrugged and headed towards the stairs leading up to the apartment.

Sam was lounging on the couch when she entered with blood leaking from her nose. She placed her hands on her hips and squared her shoulders. «I won.» she declared grinning. Sam raised his eyebrows and walked over to her, inspecting her injury. Then he glanced at Ren behind her.

«Doesn't look like you did.» he said, and chuckled. «Come, I'll clean you up.» then he walked towards their bedroom. Aelin turned to Ren.

«You can clean up in the guest bathroom if you like.» she said.

«Thanks, but I should get going. I have things to do.» he said and shrugged. «I'll see you later.»

They said their goodbyes, then Aelin followed after Sam into their shared bathroom. He had already filled the basin with water, and was wringing water out of a piece of cloth when she came in. He began washing away the blood.

«You've been very quiet today. Is something wrong?» she tried searching his face, but he yielded nothing as he kept cleaning her face.

«Nothing is wrong, just a little tired.» he said as he focused intently on what he was doing. «Had trouble sleeping last night.»

«Why?» she asked, but he just shrugged. «If you're worried about the plan... I know it's risky, but we can do it. I know we can.»

He gave her a weak smile, but his expression didn't change. She couldn't read his face, but she could tell that something was bothering, something off. But she wouldn't push him, she would give him time to sort things through until he wanted to talk. Like he had always done for her.

So instead she pecked a kiss on his cheek and thanked for cleaning her face, before she went to the closet to grab a clean shirt.