Chapter 65

Rowan slowly healed the gash he had received on his upper arm, then turned to his Aelin who was grinning like fiend at the thrill of the fight. She was strikingly beautiful, even with dark blood splattered all over her body. «Seems like His Dark Majesty wasn't all too pleased with our recent visit.» she said, looking very pleased with herself. Rowan huffed a laugh.

«You've always known how to step on everyone's toes.» he said jokingly, and she flashed him a grin. Her face struck him stupid, and he could not look away from her. He hadn't been able to look away the entire fight really. Before she had been a whirlwind of death, but now... She had killed more than double the amount of Ilken than he had, and still she wasn't even winded. 

Her grin turned into a frown however, as she looked at something behind him. 

«What is it?» he asked, then turned to see what she was looking at. He saw nothing except for a pile of dead Ilken. Aelin said nothing, but jogged over to the pile, and picked up a sword.

«Aelin uses Goldryn, correct?» she said, still frowning. He nodded. «Then where is Aelin?» she asked and held up the ancient sword. 

«She was here a moment ago, I saw her fighting...» he said, worry starting to work its way through him. He glanced around the decimated camp, but no golden hair was to be seen anywhere. 

«Rowan, what if she's been... taken?» Aelin said, voice coated with fear and worry. He opened his mouth to answer, but at that moment Aedion came running towards them. 

«We need healers to Aelin's tent, Sam took her there.» he said when he reached them.

«What happened?» Aelin asked, frowning with worry.

«One of the Ilken picked her up, but she killed it and fell into a tent. She got some broken ribs, but the healers will have to check her for anything internal.» he explained. 

«I'll send some healers there immediately.» Rowan said. Guilt began to creep at he edges of his mind. If he hadn't been so busy marveling at his Aelin's fighting, then he could have stopped Aelin's fall with his magic. 

_______________________________________

Sam put her gently down on her cot, careful not to jostle her too much. Since she was still unconscious, Sam began to examine her, slowly checking each rib for fractures. He counted at least five, lucky for her that they have magic healers to heal the fractures at a faster pace than if they were to heal on their own. He brushed her hair aside as he stroked her cheek, and her eyes once again fluttered open. 

«Aedion went to fetch some healers, they should be here shortly.» he said as he looked into pained blue eyes. She was very pale, even her freckles were gone.

«Like music to my ears.» she said with a wince.«It hurts more than earlier.» she gave him an attempt at a smile, but it looked more like a grimace.

The tent flap was pushed aside and a group of people walked. Rowan and Old Aelin came in first, with two healers following close behind. Of course Rowan was with Old Aelin, Sam thought. Which was probably why he hadn't noticed that his fiancee was almost kidnapped by the enemy. Sam tried to reign in his anger for the Fae king, but it was not easy, not when it was about the woman he loved. I f he was being honest with himself, he was kind of hoping that Rowan would mess up their relationship even more, to the point where Aelin would choose to leave the male. A man can hope.

The healers sat down by her cot, beginning their work on her, and Old Aelin went to sit by her head. The two women began speaking quietly, and since the tent was now cramped with people Sam ended up standing beside Rowan.