Chapter 39

Silent as the night, Aelin and Rowan snuck slowly towards the city. The dawn was a few hours away when they began their trek through the forest, and now the white walls of Doranelle was finally in sight. Their progress was slow, since they had to sneak past the roaming wolves and sentries. So far, so good. Rowan kept a constant shield up to mask their scent, to keep their scents from traveling to far from them.

Now the biggest obstacle between them and their target, was all those blasted bridges. All heavily guarded, as well. At least they were past the wolves, who kept an eye on the forest border. They hunched down low in the tall grass, watching the guards on the first bridge. Aelin glanced down at the bridge further down the river, then she looked at Rowan.

Ready? She asked him with her eyes, and he gave a quick nod. At that she summoned a small tendril of flame to her hand, and slowly snaked it through the grass towards the bridge further down the river, not the one that they hid by.

When the tendril of fire reached the bridge, she willed it to begin encasing and heating up the bridge. Shouting rose up as the fire engulfed the bridges. The fire wouldn't kill the sentries, it was only meant as a distraction. Guards ran to the burning bridge, even the guards on the bridge they hid by left their posts to help their comrades.

While the guards were busy with the flames downriver, she and Rowan snuck over the bridge and hid between the houses there. Great, now there were a dozen more bridges to go, but at least they could hide in the shadows of the houses now.

They quickly wove their way through the district until they reached the next bridge. Rowan peered around the corner of the house, then held up three finger. Three guards. She nodded at him, his turn to shine. Rowan stepped out of the shadows and casually walked down the street, pretending to just be a random citizen out for an early walk.

She knelt down to keep hidden as she watched her mate approach the bridge. Then suddenly the guards grabbed their throats before they all collapsed to the ground, all unconscious. Rowan motioned for her to come out, and she quickly left the shadows and slipped across the bridge.

They repeated this process several times, always going for the most secluded bridge to avoid too much trouble. And then, across the last bridge they went. Rowan led the way as they kept low by the palace wall. There was an old secret entrance on the eastern side that would lead them into the dungeons, and from there the way to Maeve would be short.

The sun had begun to peak over the horizon, slowly lighting up the beautiful palace. They had to hurry. She watched her mate several feet ahead of her, she blinked and realized that she shouldn't be this far behind. She hurried her pace, just as something dropped down behind her. Less then a second later she felt the cold, sharp edge of a knife at her throat and a strong hand yanked her close. Her breath hitched, but she could not cry out to Rowan. If she did the knife would cut her.

The male holding her began to slowly drag her backwards, and around the corner. While he did that, she began heating his blade until it melted. She stomped his foot, elbowed him in the stomach and wrenched his hand away from her throat. She spun around and drew her twin daggers, poised to fight. But the male, Lorcan she saw, was now on the ground gasping for breath. She glanced up and found Rowan in hawk form, glaring down at his old friend.

Rowan landed next to her, shifting back to his fae form. Are you alright?

I'm fine. She shrugged at him. I had him.

Rowan drew his sword and held it at Lorcans throat, then he let him breath again. «Speak.» Rowan said quietly. Lorcan's face was hard as he looked up at the two of them.

«You won't survive this.» he hissed. «I don't know what you did, or how you broke the blood oath. But My Queen is furious, and she will not spare your life.»