Ten Years Later - Part 1

She flung open the door into her parents chambers, and ran into their living room where mother and father ate breakfast. She plumped down on the chair, glancing expectantly back and forth between them. «Do you remember what day it is?» she asked them, grinning from ear to ear. Her parents exchanged a glance that told her that they knew exactly what today was all about. She could barely sit still, as she waited for their usual joking about. She knew they would.

«Hum,» her mother said, blue and gold eyes glinting with amusement.«Do we have any special plans for today, Sam?» she said. Her father pretended to think hard about the question, and she huffed with mock annoyance. 

«I have no idea, Aelin.» he said, and winked at her mother. «Maybe you should remind us, Amber.» her father's eyes too were filled with amusement. She narrowed her brown eyes at him, then huffed again and pulled a lock of brown hair behind her ear.

Amber hopped of her chair, put her hands on her hips and put her nose in the air. «This is the most special day of the entire year, and let me tell you why. Today is my birthday. Today I will no longer be eight years old, from now on I'm nine. But,» she said dramatically. «that is not the best part.» she paused, waited for them to drop the act of ignorance.

«And what is the best part, dearest?» Her mother asked, her lips pressed together to jeep herself from laughing. Amber sighed, but she smiled brightly at them both.

«I get to pick where we travel.» she clapped her hands.«Now hurry up you two, we need to go to the portal room right now.» she grabbed her mother's arm, and pulled at her to make her get up. 

«Let us finish breakfast first, there is still time before Auntie 'Lin opens the portal to Doranelle.» her mother said, and gently removed her arm from Amber's grip.

«We need to be there before it opens.» she put forth her best pouty lip, and her father chuckled.

«Just a few minutes, sweetheart, and we'll be ready.» he said, then continued to eat.

_______________________________________  

Aelin donned her travelling clothes while her mate, king and husband leaned back against the headboard of the bed, hands behind his head and watched her every move. «Are you going to stare at me all day, or will you get dressed too?» she asked, and began brushing her hair. 

«You know I'd gladly watch for an eternity.» he said, «Or we could do some other kind of activities, one I know you enjoy very much.» 

She stalked over to the bed and leaned over him. «Tempting, but we'll have guests soon. It's Amber's birthday today.» she tapped his nose with a finger, and pulled her hand back before he managed to grab her. 

«Should you be opening portals in your condition?» he said, slight worry edging his voice. Aelin crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at him.

«I'm pregnant, not dying.» she said with pursed lips, and she raised her hand to silence him when he opened his mouth again. «Not another word about that, I know my limits, Rowan, and portaling is not a problem.» She grabbed the blanket and pulled it off him, exposing him to the cold air. «Now get dressed, my love.» she said, and bent down and pecked a kiss to his forehead.

She quickly left the room and headed for the portal room before Rowan could voice any more protests. As she walked through the many hallways she glanced down at her slight bulge, it was becoming more and more visible as the weeks went by. But she still had six months to go, and there was really no need for Rowan to fuss about it so much. She sighed, she knew he was worried because of what had happened to his previous pregnant woman, so she tried to not be too hard on him about his overprotectiveness.

She smiled to herself as she opened the door into the portal room, then closed it behind her. She promptly began to draw the marks that would open a portal in the portal room in Orynth. She hadn't lied to Rowan about portaling being easy, it truly was. She had done it so much, exploring countless worlds, so opening a portal was just as ''taxing'' as lighting a candle. She chanted out the spell that would activate, then stepped back as the portal came to life.

She crouched down, ready for the incoming energetic niece.

«Auntie 'Lin!» a girlish voice exclaimed the second she stepped through the portal. Amber rushed at her and threw her arms around her neck in a big hug. Aelin chuckled as she hugged the girl, and laughed merrily at the young creature.

«Happy birthday, little one. How does it feel to finally be nine years old?» she asked and pulled away from the hug. The girl grinned from ear to ear.

«It's great. Can I look in the Book of Worlds, I haven't decided quite yet where I want us to go yet.» she said with a cheery voice, and Aelin nodded. With a beaming smile the girl skipped over to the thick book and began to turn the pages. Two more figures stepped through the portal, and Aelin stood to greet them. Giving both Young Aelin and Sam a hug. Young Aelin, however, was the one to notice her growing stomach, and she gasped in excitement.

«You're pregnant! Why haven't you said anything, congratulations!» she exclaimed and pulled her into another hug. Aelin laughed.

«I wanted it to be a surprise» she said.

«Uncle Rowan!» Amber exclaimed, and Aelin turned in time to see Amber rush at him. He crouched down and pretended to be knocked over when she threw herself at him.

«You've become a strong little rascal, you knocked me right off my feet there.» he said jokingly and ruffled her hair as he rose to his feet. Amber giggled, then the girl turned and looked up at her.

«I know where I want to go.» she said.

«Alright, where to, Princess?» Aelin asked, smiling down at her niece.

«The one with the unicorns!»

Aelin chuckled. «Your wish is my command.» she said and saluted the girl before beginning on drawing up the new portal.