Chapter 54

«So this section here leads down to the tunnels under the keep.» Manon said, while tracing a finger across the map Nox had sent them. «It's like your father said, it won't be much of a problem getting inside, but getting out on the other hand...» her lips tightened, the crypt was a death trap. But a trap they would have to walk into if they wanted a chance to get the key before Erawan brought them to the battlefield. Dorian frowned at the map.

«And not the to mention that Valg Aelin is here too, she thoroughly beat our asses last time. If she is the one protecting the tunnels then we're doomed.» he said, not even trying to be optimistic about the situation. «Any word from Banjali?»

Manon rolled her eyes. «The Valg ships was due to arrive there yesterday, so the answer to that is no.» she clicked her iron nails on the table.«I don't think we'll have to worry about Valg Aelin being in the tunnels, as long as Rowan stays on the battlefield so will she.» 

«You're right, but having Rowan's skill would be extremely helpful on the mission.» he sighed, and slumped into a chair. His hand brushed against the metal disc in his pocket, and a shudder ran through him. He was ready to do it, to forge the lock, but still he found it harder and harder every day. He glanced up at Manon, who was still studying the maps of the keep. She usually had her hair pulled back, but today it hung loose and it slid over her shoulder as she leaned in over the map. And those golden eyes, eyes that could see all of him... he sighed again. 

«Rowan and Aelin should be leaving Orynth in a day or two, then we finish up the last minute preparations before we march on Morath.» she said, and crossed her arms as she frowned at the map.

Dorian leaned an elbow on the arm of his chair. «The forces down south will be on the move soon too, if they haven't been overrun by demons that is.» 

Manon narrowed her eyes at him.«Stop being so negative.» she snapped at him.«Rhiannon and the Crochans went to help, I have no doubt that they made it in time.» Dorian hoped she was right, but did the Crochans really stand a chance against Valg Aelin? He opened his mouth to voice his thought, but one look at Manon's face was enough to shut him up. Even though she tried to hide it, he could see that she was worried too, especially for her sisters safety. He knew the feeling, he too was worried for his friends... One did not simply face a Valg Princess and expect to walk away from the fight.

_______________________________________

She turned over, face scraping against something hard and cold. She startled awake and tried to look around her, but it was too dark. Her breath quickened and she stretched her arm out to feel her surroundings. It hit a cold hard surface. Her breath hitched, and she flung her other arm out which hit the same thing. Walls, she was surrounded by walls. She frantically tried to feel around her for an opening, for something to latch her fingers unto, but found only the cold, hard surface.

A sob escaped her as her fear bubbled up, and sound of it triggered the panic. She screamed as loudly as she could, while clawing at the walls around, pounding at it until her hands were in constant pain. Nothing helped, and she was trapped, unable to escape once more. Her panicked breathing turned into short, rapid gasps between the screams.

«LET ME OUT!» she shouted at the top of her lungs, again and again.

_______________________________________ 

A loud scream tore Sam from his sleep and he bolted up in bed, grabbing for his weapons. The panicked screaming continued, and Sam jumped out of his bed, pulled a shirt over his head and sprinted out of his room. He turned down the hallway, then slammed his shoulder against the door to her rooms. Other people were coming as well, he glimpsed Nehemia and Lysandra hurrying around a corner, but he ignored them and ran into Aelin's room.