Chapter 35

Aelin threw a large pile of clothes on the bed and began to sift through it, trying to pick out useful clothing that also made her look good. Not that would be something Rowan would notice, or maybe he would. But from her latest memory-sleep-diving she knew one thing he definitely would notice.

A knock on the door snapped her attention as the door opened and Lysandra snuck in.

«I got what you requested.» Lysandra said wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at her, while pulling a piece of clothing out of the small bag she carried. Aelin grinned broadly, taking the clothing Lysandra handed her and held it up in front of her.

«Thank you, Lys. You're the best.» She said and hugged her friend.

«Don't mention it,» Lysandra waved her off. «Rowan will fall to his knees when he sees you in this.» she said and grinned like a hellion. Aelin stroked her fingers over the fabric.

«Oh, he'd better.» Aelin laughed.

«You know, if someone had told me a few months ago, that I would run around looking for scandalous nightgowns for you, I would never have believed it.» she said, and sat down at the edge of the bed and frowned at the huge pile of clothes there. «You're not bringing all of this, are you?»

Aelin snorted at her. «Of course not, just looking through it. Are you and the guys ready to go to Banjali?»

«Yes, everything is packed and ready to go. Actually, you are the only one still packing.» she said with a pointy look. Aelin gave her best innocent smile.

But before she got to answer her, someone knocked on the door. Aelin quickly scented the air to find out who it was, then stuffed the nightgown and the small bag Lys had brought into her own bag. «Come in!» she said. Rowan entered already with a frown on his face when he too spotted the large pile of clothes.

«If you bring that, you'll carry it yourself.» he said. Aelin crossed her arms and huffed at him, and pursed her lips.

«Such a charming gentlemale.» she click her tongue. «But no, I'm not bringing all of it. Just a few different outfits for different occasions, in case I'll need it.»

He frowned at the pile again. «None of these are fit for fighting.» he said curtly. Aelin rolled her eyes at him and sighed dramatically.

«I haven't gotten to that part yet.» she narrowed her eyes at him.

«The ship leaves in an hour, Fireheart. Now hurry up, or you won't have time to say goodbye to everyone.» he raised an eyebrow at her. He went for the closet, rummaged around for a bit, then came back out with two sets of black clothing. When he approached the bag, Lysandra snatched the clothes out of his hands.

«We can take it from here, but thank you for your assistance.» she said sweetly, then proceeded to push him out the door. «We'll be out in a few minutes.» She shut the door behind him, and when she turned back to Aelin they both burst out giggling.

«That was close.» Aelin managed to breath out.

------------------

The docks were bustling with life as people hurried to either load crates unto the ships, or were boarding. Aelin walked over to Elide, who had come to see them off, and hugged her. «Stay close to Manon, she might be a snarling bitch on the outside, but she's really just a big softy on the inside.» Aelin said and winked at her.

A snarl came from behind Elide, and Aelin chuckled quietly. Elide grinned hesitantly at her. «Stay safe, Aelin.» she said.

Aelin gave her a bright smile, then turned to Manon. «See you later, Witch.»