Chapter 34

Try as she might, she could not for the life of her keep her goofy grin from her face. As she rounded a corner she came face to face with Sam and Dorian, who had been in the middle of a conversation.

Dorian narrowed his eyes at her. «What have you done?» he asked suspiciously, and her grin grew wider and placed her hands at her hips.

«What makes you think I've done something?» she said, trying hard to sound innocent. It wouldn't be long now...

Sam arched an eyebrow. «Your face says it all.» he said, and Dorian nodded.

«Well, don't leave us hanging, Aelin, what did you do?» Dorian asked, and crossed his arms.

Her mask cracked and she doubled over laughing like a maniac. Heaving for breath she clutched her side, and looked up their confused and somewhat amused faces. She dried the tear at the corner of her eye.

«Are you drunk?» Dorian asked.

She suppressed the urge to laugh again. «No,» she dragged out the word a little. «Just testing out a theory.» she bit her lip to keep her giggle down. Soon, very soon.

«What theory is tha——» Sam asked but a roar that shook the castle stopped him.

«AELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!» Rowan roared from somewhere in the castle. Aelin fled behind Sam, and peered over his shoulder.

«Oh boy, he sounds pissed...» she said

«What did you do?» Sam asked, looking at her over his shoulder. She gave him conspirators grin.

«I should probably start running... see you guys in the afterlife!» then she sped off down the hallway, leaving the two bewildered men far behind. She wove through the many hallways, speeding past courtiers and servants in a blur.

She hit ground level and ran into the gardens. She had to see if it had worked. A shadow passed over her as she ran, and she looked up. What she saw made her insides tighten, and she slipped on the ice beneath her feet. She fell face first, but managed to guard her face from hitting the ground. Then she rolled over and saw the pink hawk shoot straight for her.

Before she could scramble up, he shifted and landed sitting on top of her. His now hot pink hair was blown around by the wind, and she grinned like a fool up at his not so happy face.

——————————————————

Sam and Dorian hurried to find a balcony to see what had made her run away. By a stroke of luck the first balcony they found faced the garden she was currently running through.

They arrived just in time to see a hot pink hawk fly over her, then she tripped and fell. A second later Rowan was sitting on top of her holding her down.

«Should we be good friends and help her?» Dorian asked lightly, not sounding like he planned to help her at all.

«Nah, I want to see what happens next.» Sam answered, grinning widely as Rowan slung Aelin over his shoulder and headed back inside the castle. She was neck deep in trouble now.

——————————————————

She tried kicking her legs, but they were firmly held in place by very strong arms. «Put me down!» she yelled and laughed at the same time.

He opened a door and went inside a room, his room she realized. She had snuck in here earlier today to rig his soap with the pink dye. «No, don't you dare!» she renewed her efforts to escape his powerful grip as he made his way to the bathroom.