Chapter 66

«The armada has been hit hard by some underwater creatures, one fourth of our ships has gone down.» Princess Hasar said. She and her brother, Prince Sartaq, had flown in from the coast on his ruk, Kadara. «Our ships won't make it here while those beasts are hounding us.»

«Then you will have to hold the line at sea, don't let Erawan's armada break through.» Old Aelin said. «We can still make it with the troops we have here.»

«It will be tough. My army mainly consists of rebels and freshly trained soldiers, and little experience.» Nehemia shot in. «They will be cut down like stalks of wheat by the Valg. We have already suffered losses at the hands of Ilken, they have attacked us twice on our way up here.»

«Erawan has human troops as well, so we position your men to face those alongside the Bane. They have plenty of experience, and it could minimize your casualties.» Rowan said to her, and Nehemia nodded. «And if all goes according to plan, the Valg won't be a problem for too long.» he said a bit tersely, casting a quick glance at Old Aelin who ignored his look completely.

Sam glanced at Aelin, her eyes half closed. Apparently she wasn't as well rested as she had claimed, because now she was very close to dozing of. Sam nudged his knee against hers under the table, she quickly straightened her back and blinked away the drowsiness from her eyes. She gave him a small smile, and he winked back.

«And the ironteeth?» Rhiannon asked. «We struggled against them before, and now they are riding wyverns.»

«They haven't had much time to train with their wyverns, so that's an advantage for my thirteen. Still, Fae reinforcements to fight alongside the Crochans would benefit us greatly.» Manon added.

«Of course, I'll assign men to you when the meeting over.» Rowan said.

«Do we have an army count on the enemy?» Ansel asked.

«It's at approximately ten to three...» Dorian said casually.

«In our favour?» Asnel said, a tinge of surprise or even hope in her voice.

«Not in the slightest.» Dorian answered, with a slight wince.

The room fell deadly silent as everyone calculated their odds, and all wearing a bit grim faces. Galan turned to Young Aelin.

«You weren't exaggerating when you said that you needed all hands on deck fir this war. How do we even beat odds like that?» he said quietly.

«We will, it will be tough to begin with, but as soon as we launch our... plan, the tide will turn in our favour.» Young Aelin said, and Old Aelin nodded.

They spent another two hours planning strategies, how much food was left and how to divide up the firelances. Eventually, after Sam had kept Aelin from dozing of three more times, the meeting ended and she was quick to head back to her tent. He wished her a good nights rest, and hugged before she disappeared into her tent.

_______________________________________

She gasped and shot up into a sitting position, and quickly glanced around. Her tent, she was alone in her tent. She rubbed her face, then got out of her cot and threw on a loose shirt and pants. Then she went into the cool night air to clear her mind from the remnants of the ethereal dream.

She wandered aimlessly through the camp, not really having a destination in mind. But somehow she ended up exactly where she needed to be. She stood outside the tent, debating if she should or shouldn't go inside. Drawing in a deep breath, she silently pulled aside the entrance flap and went inside.

«Are you awake?» she whispered into the dark interior of the tent. She let the tent flap fall into place behind her, then she slowly approached the sleeping form.«Sam?» she whispered, but no answer came. He was fast asleep, and she could hear his soft, steady breathing. Maybe she should just go back to her own tent... but after that dream she really didn't want to be alone tonight.