I

My parents loved me more than anything else. They weren't pro heroes, but had quite powerful quirks. With my mother's quirk, she was able to make inanimate objects come to life, and with my father's, he was able to feed off of colors, such as the red of an apple, or the green of a leaf. Of course, he'd eat normally, but claimed it "wasn't as tasty."

I was devastated when I heard that I wouldn't be able to have a quirk. Ever.

However I never remembered that I was the type to give up. I got it from my mother's side, mostly. And so began the long trek of sneaking out and training, lifting weights, running, and doing endurance exercises.

As the years passed, my passion only got stronger as I dreamed about what it might be like to be able to finally become a hero. The idea had always appealed to me, protecting people and having them look up to you as motivation. Since I didn't have a quirk, I always knew what it was like to feel as if you couldn't help anyone, even if you tried.

This started at a very young age, after I first entered a little room where everyone else was playing. There was a kid who was showing off their quirk. Control gusts of wind.

"That's super cool! You can fight a lot of bad guys with that!" I exclaimed, grinning and punching the air. They smiled back and floated towards me.

"What's your quirk? I bet it's something cool, I heard your mom can make things come to life!" I nodded my head excitedly and clenched my little fists.

"Yeah! I can't wait. I might become a pro hero with that quirk!" I giggled, thrusting a fist above my head. "Plus Ultra!"

"Plus Ultra!" the whole room repeated.

If only I knew back then.

__

I groaned as my muscles ached and I slumped against the wall, covered in sweat.

"Honey, do you need any more water? Maybe some food will do you well after exercising so much," my mother called from inside our little house. I shook my head and smiled weakly, giving her a thumbs up.

"No thanks, mom. I'm okay for now," I breathed, still gasping for air. She pressed her lips into a thin line, looking at me worriedly.

"Alright, but make sure to stay hydrated. I don't want you to faint like last time." I nodded in understanding and continued to train. Everything ached, but I could feel that I was improving. I had reduced my 400 meter dash time by 1.2 seconds, which was a considerable margin of time.

I was happy, and turning 15 tomorrow. Today would mark the end of my old life, being quirkless and doing nothing about it.

Last week I submitted a form to the UA. Since I doubt I could've made it through the normal hero course test, I applied through special recommendations, managing to get a few words in from some minor heroes I had interviewed, as well as my teachers. Now all I had to do was take the test.

Let's see if all that training for 9 years paid off.

__

I awoke to the sound of screaming a week later. I rushed out of bed and ran into the hallway, where my parents were holding a white letter with a large, red wax seal. Gasping as I immediately recognized the institution from where it was from, I clapped two hands over my mouth and rushed to take the envelope from them.

The letter from UA.

"Hurry and open it up already!" my dad stressed, clutching my mom's shoulders, "I'm going to have a heart attack if you keep me waiting for longer!"

"Okay! Okay!"

I flipped over the envelope with trembling hands and ripped off the wax seal to reveal the contents inside. Taking out the letter and unfolding the paper, my stare focused in on the first word I could find.