XXIII

The next three days of final exams were absolutely exhausting. It was to be expected, I guess. After all, the UA isn't one of the most prestigious schools for nothing. We were tested on common core curriculum, language, math, subjects like those. But the whole time my mind was completely and utterly focused on how the practical exams were going to work out.

Midoriya told us that Kendo said that she'd overheard the seniors say that we were going to fight against robots. To me, that just didn't make any sense. In the entrance exams I'd heard that the students had to be pitted against robots, so they'd already had an experience in that field. It didn't really click for me, that fact. 

The UA is known for having high standards for its students, and I honestly didn't think that the school would issue another robot test.

We'll just have to see.

__

The day of the practical exams have finally arrived, and everyone was standing, waiting near the entrance to the arena. We had no idea what was going on, and everyone was murmuring among themselves.

"It's kind of weird how basically all the teachers are here..." Jiro commented, rubbing her arm awkwardly. "It's kind of freaking me out. Are the robots this hard to beat that they need this many staff members to watch over us?" The chattering soon halted as Aizawa began to speak.

"Alright, welcome to your practical exam, the last part of the finals. Today, as you all know, is directed towards defending and attacking, the physical aspect of being a hero." Suddenly, his scarf started to rustle. I curiously peered closer at the figure, and from out of the fabric popped a mouse. Everyone gasped in surprise as the mouse crawled out of his scarf and hopped down to the floor.

"Hello everyone!" The white rodent introduced himself. "I know you're all confused. 'Is it a mouse?' 'Is it a white bear?' But the whole truth is: I'm the principal!" I stood there, dumbfounded. He continued, clearing his throat.

"The practical exams are one of the most important exams you'll take all year, and I'm sure you may have heard from your seniors, you were going to fight against robots!" Were?

"In the recent surge of villains, the school has had to increase the quality of our training methods in order to increase your battle experience. From now on, you will be having battle simulations similar to real life battles and all of you will be the first students who will have real life battle simulations.

"For this exam you will be paired up with a person that is assigned to you, and will be facing off against one of the teachers." We all looked at each other and exchanged glances, hushed and worried whispers going around.

"The pairs and teachers have already been decided, so we will announce who is with who shortly, right after we explain the rules."

__

All the teachers were gathered around the table, a few weeks prior to the test. Principal Nezu was in deep thought as Aizawa listed the pairs and pitted them against the teachers.

"I do have a question, though," Midnight piped in. Everyone turned to her as her eyebrows furrowed, thinking long and hard.

"What about (L/N) (Y/N)? I realize that they've gotten along with almost everyone in the class, and since they have no quirk, they seem to be compatible with most people. We have no students in Class 1A that have a leeching quirk, nor a quirk-eraser like you, Aizawa." He hummed, nodding. 

"Also," Midnight continued, pushing her cat-eye glasses up a little bit, "We seem to have an odd number of people in the class which means either (L/N) goes alone, or with another two people." The conference room remained silent as the staff of UA high tried to think of a solution.

"I honestly don't think they should go alone again, to be honest." All Might's voice stood out, piercing the silence.

"Why not? I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to help them improve even more," Mic commented, inclined. Toshinori sighed and ran a hand through his disheveled hair.

"It's just... Being a hero, to me, is being able to work as a team and fight the common evil. I'm afraid if young (L/N) is trained to always be alone, they'll never really have the experience of working as a team. In these situations it's not about how easy the fight is, but more of the experience of fighting. 

"They have enough potential to make it as a pro hero, despite the fact that they don't possess a quirk, but I just think that if they try and making it on their own, and believe that they can do it on their own, it'll never happen, even though they have the talent. The teachings a junior hero learns in their youth is the foundation of their career. If you teach them the wrong things, they might become a toxic force." 

Midnight whistled and crossed her arms, impressed, while Thirteen gave a quiet clap of approval. Eraserhead nodded and folded his hands together on the table.

"Well then, it's decided. What do you say, Principal Nezu?" The mouse-like figure smiled and gleefully directed his attention to the pro heroes.

"I completely agree, and I'm happy that you mentioned this, Toshinori. It's good that we see things from all perspectives. But who shall we pair them with?"

"I don't think I should go up against (L/N)," Aizawa commented. "My quirk only allows others' to be erased, and that's why I'm up against the two quirk-dependent people in the class."

"I don't think I should either," Cementoss chimed in. A series of claims were then made by teachers all around the room, explaining why they shouldn't go up against the quirkless student.

"Their presence will most likely nullify the rivalry young Midoriya and young Bakugo have."

"Since they trained with Gang Orca both on water and land, I think they have experience in holding their breath for minutes at a time."

"They also seem to be good at planning and figuring things out quickly."

"My quirk seems to be good at focusing on one or two people at a time, and I only have two arms, so (L/N) can easily come from behind me and attack. The suit doesn't make it easier to move, either."

The teachers turned to the last three options: Snipe, Power Loader, and Ectoplasm.

"I'm not sure whether my quirk is actually a good match either," Power Loader admitted, scratching his neck. "I'm allowed to manipulate stuff and set traps, but honestly, I'm sure (L/N) can figure them out really quickly."

Ectoplasm and Snipe glanced at each other, making a silent exchange of words. Finally, after a few minutes of banter, Snipe spoke.

"We've decided that Ectoplasm will be up against (L/N) (Y/N), Tsuyu Asui, and Tokoyami Fumikage. Tsuyu has a frog quirk that enhances her abilities, and Tokoyami's Dark Shadow can also aid him in travelling, as well as flying. Ectoplasm's clones can also fly and appear anywhere at random times. See, (L/N) doesn't have a quirk, and due to that, their teammates might also find that it will be a barrier on their way to success. (L/N) has the brains and the strength, but the thing that they cannot control is their ability, which will always cease to exist.

"It's a harsh reality, but we have to pair incompatible people together. Sure, Tokoyami might have more coverage, thanks to them, but travel-wise, they won't be able to do the things their teammates will be capable of."