XXIV

Needless to say, I was kind of surprised that I got paired up with Tokoyami and Tsuyu. I thought I would be matched up to people that I wasn't as compatible with friend-wise. Maybe Bakugo or something. But the UA has always had meticulous planning, and I was sure that they must've had a reason behind it all.

We entered the arena and Ectoplasm was already there waiting for us.

"Now, we talked about the plan before, right?" I whispered in a hushed tone. Both of them nodded, getting ready for the attack. As soon as the buzzer sounded, Ectoplasm duplicated and immediately charged.

"Tsuyu!" I shouted, crouching, getting ready to make an escape. She nodded and ran at me, quickly jumping up onto my hands as I vaulted her into the air. She used her tongue to wrap around Tokoyami as Dark Shadow pulled me up. 

"Nice work you guys!" I landed on top of the platform, along with the others, watching the clones quickly fly up.

"We gotta run, keep him busy. Try to avoid as much interaction as you possibly can!" Both of them nodded and we sprinted around the upstairs track. I pulled out my staff as more of Ectoplasm's clones showed up. Tokoyami seemed to have a hard time in close-range attacks, and I figured that was why he was pitted against Ectoplasm. Tsuyu, on the other hand, I had seen no clear flaws in. She's a good fighter and can keep her cool, and is a significant aid towards her team.

Me, on the other hand, I still don't know yet. My train of thought was interrupted as one of his clones landed a blow on my back. I grunted and fell, but extended my staff to pierce through the ectoplasm material, disintegrating the figure.

They were overwhelming us. More and more were coming at a time, and we seemed to be stuck in one spot. I made eye contact with Tsuyu and she nodded, grabbing Tokoyami and moved up one floor, leaving me down here with the other clones. Some of the many Ectoplasms followed the two, while some remained with me. 

Good. This was exactly what we'd discussed before. With the aid of my staff, I was able to kill off the rest and duck into the stairway to remain hidden.

"Hiding, I see." Ectoplasm's booming voice rang around the arena. "What? Too nervous to come and face me down here?" I held my breath, trying not to get angry. He was toying with our emotions, like a real villain would. I had experience from the fight against Stain. 

"It's okay," I thought it myself. "We're going to get through this. Just follow the plan." Once my nerves finally calmed down, and I opened my eyes, my heart rate just shot up again as I saw a massive figure had formed at the ground level of the building.

A series of muffled dialogue was all I heard before the ceiling above me rumbled, shaking the entirety of the complex. 

"Only I can get rid of this behemoth. So what is your plan? One of your teammates deserting you to ensure their own safety? Tell me heroes, what have you accomplished this time around?" I sucked in a breath, peeping my head out the door frame. I saw both Tsuyu and Tokoyami trapped in the mess. The size of this monster was abnormal, but with its size comes its weaknesses. It's slow, and I assumed that I would be faster than it. 

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a throwing knife. If I can somehow cut through the material, and get either one of them free, then we might have a better chance. But I couldn't fight him alone. My teammates were struggling, and it was my responsibility to help them. 

But I couldn't rely on just my accuracy alone. I needed someone else. Someone that wasn't trapped. 

Dark Shadow.

I took a deep breath in and out as I readied myself. Finally, I'd ducked out of the hallway I'd been hiding in and hopped off the railing, making eye contact with Tokoyami.

"Here!" I threw the knife in his direction and braced my fall with my staff and rolled onto the ground, quickly avoiding whatever the substance was. I watched as Dark Shadow caught it and pierced through the ectoplasm. Tokoyami broke out first and started to go towards the teacher while Dark Shadow worked on Tsuyu's bonds. He was struggling, and I knew that the chains couldn't be broken. I saw Tsuyu whisper something to Dark Shadow in the midst of joining the fight against the pro hero. 

It looked like she spit something out into his hand, and he nodded, racing to go closer to Ectoplasm. Groaning, I blocked kicks from him and retaliated with my staff, swinging and trying to land hits, but to no avail.

"If we can't defeat him, how are we supposed to go through that gate?" I glanced at Tokoyami, who smiled at me for a split second. Confused, I kept on battling, wondering what those two were up to. Suddenly, Dark Shadow shot at Ectoplasm when his leg was extended out, fist raised. I heard a click and suddenly the buzzer rang and the sign on the gate changed to "Good job!"

"Team Asui, Tokoyami, and (Y/N) have passed the final." I stood for a second, trying to comprehend what was going on. My staff lowered as Ectoplasm approached us. I looked at his leg and my eyes widened as I saw the pair of handcuffs around his ankle.

"That was wonderfully clever. I must commend you all." Tokoyami nodded and Tsuyu smiled. I looked down, not even a smirk gracing my face. My eyes seemed to wilt, even though we won. I'd felt like a depression had sunk upon my chest, although this victory was supposed to be a good thing. 

Our teacher exited and we followed, not a word coming out of my mouth. I'd felt like I was useless. They could've planned this all out even without my help. What did I do? Just cut them out and distract? That's it? I felt like a coward for hiding in the stairwell as my teammates got captured. 

It was a weird sensation. My face was numb and so were my fingers. I didn't feel like doing anything, so I just sat and tried to re-focus my attention to watching my classmates do their best in their tests. I smiled and clapped for them, trying to happily interact with the others as I wished them good luck.

But it still lingered. Was I right, trying to do this? Was it right, trying to be "unique?" Even though I had friends, even though I felt like I was close with them, I still felt somewhat lonely.

I'm the first quirkless hero, but still the only one.