XXII

"It was nice to be able to train with you. Thanks for dinner as well, Todoroki-kun. It's nice to be able to hang out with you, you're a cool guy." I smiled and waved goodbye to the male as he turned away, hands in his pockets and walked down, and back to his house. I nodded and sighed, opening the front door with a house key.

"How is training going? I hope you do well on your tests, you've been exhausting yourself lately. And especially with that Todoroki boy, he's pretty good. Nice to see that you're training with him." My mother's voice rang through the hall, a light and cheery tone to it. 

"I'm doing well mom. I hope you are too. The training's going well, just one more day until the test. I'll see who I can call up and train with." I kissed her cheek and smiled, giving her a little hug before grabbing a Kiku apple from the fruit bowl and headed upstairs.

"Be sure to be in bed by eleven! I'll come up and check on you at ten forty-five, sweetie!" I hummed and thanked my mother before heading to my room, biting the top of the sweet fruit and nodding in satisfaction at the crispness and sugary flavor.

I skipped through my phone, looking at the chatrooms and the antics that were currently popping up.

"Mina and Denki are never not complaining, are they?" I chuckled to myself, looking at the 100+ messages I had received this afternoon. "The chatroom history is flooded with them texting back and forth during their downtime..." I sighed, browsing through the text messages and smiling, coming across Tokoyami's profile picture, the one with a pure black circle and a tiny white frowning face in the middle. 

I hit his inbox up, thumbs racing across the keyboard, frantic. 

"Hey Tokoyami-kun, are you too busy tomorrow? Do you mind if I come over for an hour or two to study with you at 3-4?" I received a response almost immediately.

"I do not believe I am too busy. Yes, you may come over to my house, but a forewarning, my birth-giver and her spouse may not be present at the time when you arrive. Otherwise, I am mostly sure that everything else is clear." I sent back a thumbs-up and a smiling face.

"Cool! See you then." I took another bite of my apple, turning the stereo on, and leaning back in my seat, smiling contentedly at the small conversation that just took place. I was getting good at talking with people. Pat on the back to you, (Y/N).

__

"Why is it so dark... the sun is literally shining right above the house, and it's high noon." Standing outside his door, my classmate's house was dim, much fitting to his personality. The door slowly creaked open as a voice from inside murmured, "Come in."

I stepped inside, not deterred at all, taking off my shoes. 

"Does Dark Shadow prefer the darkness? If he's okay with the light, is it alright for you to turn them on?" I chuckled, stepping onto the wooden floor. The switch flicked up and brightness consumed my vision as I was pleasantly greeted with the sight of a rather large household, larger than mine, at least.

Tokoyami's face was a light shade of red, embarrassed that I had to mention the lights were off. 

"Sorry, about that. My eyes are quite well adjusted to the darkness so sometimes I forget that visitors have a problem with it." I waved it off, reassuring him that it wasn't. "It's completely fine, I was just asking if Dark Shadow felt more comfortable with it." 

"That's nice of you, but I can assure you that he's alright with light and dark." The phantom peeped out from behind Tokoyami's shoulder and smiled, floating up to me. 

"Hey there." I was about to reach out and pet him, but stopped and looked at Tokoyami for permission. "Can I?" He nodded and gave me a tiny side-grin as I cooed and fawned over how amazing his quirk was.

"Honestly, Tokoyami-kun your quirk is great. Offensive and defensive, you have it both covered. Not to mention Dark Shadow is a great companion." The phantom grinned and nuzzled closer to the palm of my hand. "You just love the compliments don't you?" After a minute, I got up and grabbed my bag. 

"So, shall we study?" 

__

"Okay, quiz!" I exclaimed, grinning. "Which one is correct: 'The yolk of the egg is white,' or 'The yolk of the egg are white?'" Tokoyami thought for a moment before responding.

"The first one."

"Wrong! It's neither, since the yolk of the egg is yellow." I burst into laughter as he just sat there with a surprised expression dancing along his features until it spread to his entire face. Peeking from behind my hands, I started to roar and cackle at him dumbstruck features. Slack jaw, wide eyes, hands just dangling by his sides. 

My whole face was flushed by the time the joke had worn off. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I cheated, I cheated I know," I said, coughing a bit from relapse. "I've just never seen your face like that, if it sounds fitting." He laughed and shook his head, turning back to the English textbook he was carrying.

"My turn, then." The banter and laughter continued on for the whole evening as we studied grammar and the turning of phrases, reading out loud common mistakes that were found in the English language and having fun at the same time. The usually quiet, raven-headed boy with that bright red choker I sat next to had smiled the most in those hours than I'd ever seen him. It was great to be able to connect to someone, especially a classmate.

Stretching and groaning, I sighed, my body relaxing, satisfied with the session. 

"Today was productive," Tokoyami commented, shutting the English textbook. "It was nice to be able to study with you, (Y/N)." 

"You too! It's great having a study buddy. I don't usually study with others, but today was fun." He nodded and we sat in silence for a few moments, comfortable in our own skin. 

"Maybe next time when we have big tests you can come to my place and we can invite over more people," I suggested, grinning. 

"Sounds like a plan."