VII

"The UA Sports Festival is coming up. It's a very important event hosted by the school for first years, and it gives pro heroes the chance to recruit some of you for a trainee program." The classroom buzzed with excited energy, anticipating whatever was going to come.

"I've watched this every year since diapers!" Izuku whispered excitedly, tapping his fingers on his desk rapidly. "This time we'll finally be able to be a part of it!" I frowned a little and mumbled nervously, raising my hand. Aizawa called on me to speak.

"But sensei, won't it be dangerous right after the USJ attack?" Everyone went silent, awaiting the teacher's response. Aizawa sighed and pulled back his ebony black hair, eyes flashing with annoyance, then let his locks fall back into place. Almost perfectly the way they were before. Weird.

"The UA decided collectively that this event was too important for us to cancel, so we're still doing it. It's one of the most viewed events in the world and is a good way for pro heroes to get insight on who and what they'll be trying to train."

The class looked at each other, exchanging glances and murmuring amongst themselves. I myself leaned back in my chair, careful not to put too much stress on my shoulder.

How will I fight with a burden I can't change? 

__

Lunchtime had soon arrived, and everyone was experiencing the afterbuzz of the news that was given to us this morning. Uraraka was especially pumped.

"Everyone! I'll try my best and work hard!" she yelled, punching the air in a victory stance. Some were less enthusiastic, and some were just, if not more enthusiastic than Ochako herself.

I just smiled and gathered , prepared to walk along with her, Izuku, and Tenya to the lunchroom. Just as we were about to leave, Deku asked me something I'd thought I'd never hear until now.

"By the way, (L/N)-san, what is your motive for becoming a hero?" My mind blanked as my pupils dilated, breaking into cold sweat.

"What? Sorry, I couldn't hear you." Izuku scratched his head and raised an eyebrow with concern.

"What is your motive for becoming a hero?" Shit, (Y/N). You have to think. They can't know, and you already made the mistake of telling Iida, you impulsive idiot. I desperately looked at the taller blue headed male for backup. I could see surprised laced in his eyes as he met my gaze. He cleared his throat and started to speak.

"(L/N)-san told me this already... the reason why they want to become a hero is... because they just feel a need to help people, and this is the only way they know how." I breathed a silent sigh of relief and smiled weakly at Tenya, mouthing a "Thank you."

"That's a strong reason for becoming a hero. I look up to you for that (L/N)-san!" Deku exclaimed, clapping his hands together. I felt guilty, but continued to look forwards, a moment of peace before my adrenaline fired up again as I screamed when All Might burst into the room, carrying a small bento box.

"Young (L/N), I'm sorry for startling you! But I need to talk to Young Midoriya!" he said, rather loudly.

"Why?" Ochako wondered aloud, eyes wide.

"I want to have lunch with him." Uraraka spit as I smiled. That was cute. Midoriya was red-faced, flailing his arms around as he asked if it was okay with us. Iida, Uraraka, and I all agreed, encouraging him to dine with the pro hero. We said our goodbyes and parted ways.

Today was too close.

__

Why the hell was the doorway blocked? I need to get home to see my parents. Everyone was hustling and bustling to catch a glimpse of us?

"There's competition in the air and more rivals to spare," Bakugo growled, balling up his fists and narrowing his eyes. It was a good rhyme, but I needed to get back home. I shoved myself on the left side of Katsuki, looking at the figures moving around in the busy hallway.

"Can the extras just all move out of the way? I'm trying to get somewhere." A student suddenly popped out of nowhere and started yelling.

"How dare you! Calling us extras when you have such a horrible personality! This is so unmanly of Class 1A! This means war at the sports festival! War!" I sighed and slapped my cheek with my hand. Why did Bakugo have to be in our class.

"Well this was a waste of time." I turned to the guy who chimed in. He looked strangely like a version of Einstein with purple hair. "I came here to see the class that defeated the horde of villains, but all I got it witness were a bunch of condescending brats." I could feel Katsuki shaking from beside me. My shoulders were tense, the wound hurting like hell as I felt red creep up my neck. The rest of the class was worried, I could tell since Bakugo was speaking like it was the whole class.

"Well it won't matter since I'll beat you all anyways." The crowd erupted into shouts and complaints, showering Class 1A with crude comments and making my classmates worry about our reputation.

I decided to butt in.

"Excuse me, I just wanted to say something," I calmly interjected, making my way to the front where everyone could see. "This conceited ashy blonde doesn't speak for everyone in Class 1A. We're not all used to getting out own way and we fight for it. I can't train as hard because of the injury I sustained during the USJ attack, and we all fought our hardest and tried to hold the villains off. If we were as prideful or as mindless as Bakugo here, the villains would've already taken control of the UA. If not for individual efforts, and if not for every ounce of strength given, we might not even be standing. Apparently your small mind can't comprehend that all people are different, no matter what class they're in."

The guy looked startled. People started to mutter and nod slowly, ashamed. I huffed, glaring one last time at Bakugo before making my way through the mass. I felt my emotions calm as I took one last glance as his awe-stricken expression, leaving the classroom with my belongings in tow.