XXXIV

My legs were moving on their own once more, leading me to the figure that stood near the doorway. I hesitantly opened the door to allow the both of us to head towards the outside area of my living space.

"You've been awfully quiet since the fight, Young (L/N)," All Might murmured, setting a hand on my shoulder. "I hope you've recovered alright." My hands were clenched by my sides, my muscles and jaw tense. I couldn't look at him, I just couldn't. The guilt was too much, the taunting from All For One were just too much.

"I-I'm fine, All Might." My voice shook as I said his name, the phrase leaving a foul taste in my mouth. I didn't feel worthy to say the title in such a casual manner. 

"Young (L/N)," All Might repeated, his blue eyes glued to mine, which weren't even close to looking at his. "Please, tell me what's wrong." I shook my head as I felt the onslaught of tears about to break through.

"No," I whimpered, sniffing and wiping my nose. "I'm sorry, I can't. I-I..." A breathy sob escaped my mouth as my shoulders quivered, rising with every breath I took as I tried to calm down. The hero in front of me brought me into a hug, gently patting my back with his hand.

"It's alright. Take your time." How could he be so nice after everything? My arms quickly moved to curl around his torso, hands grasping the fabric of the back of his dress shirt. I quietly cried into his shoulder as everything came spilling out.

"Why are you so nice to me? Why, All Might, why?" My voice was ridden with pain, my chest heaving. "If I hadn't gotten captured, if I hadn't been such an idiot, if I hadn't even joined the UA, none of this would have happened! You would still be you, I wouldn't have hurt so many people! And of all things, I'm quirkless! Why did a quirkless nobody like me have to end the legacy of you?" I went silent, ashamed.

Now he knows. He knows about your insecurities, and he knows about your flaws. In the end, even you think of yourself with all the stigma surrounding those who don't have quirks. Maybe now you finally know what you're really worth.

"I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner. I didn't know you felt this way." I huffed, shaking my head.

"It's too late now, anyways. If I hadn't been so weak, if I hadn't let my guard down, you would have never gotten roped into this mess, you wouldn't have lost everything! If I wasn't so stupid, I wouldn't have ended your legacy and destroyed everyone's Symbol of Peace! You wouldn't have become... this!" My shoulders shook as I took in a shaky breath, my lungs feeling like they were about to collapse.

All Might was silent, holding my head to his chest, a hand on my back. Finally, he spoke.

"You didn't end my legacy, (Y/N)." I brought my head up, looking at the fabric of the suit he wore. "You continued it, and spread it out even further." 

"How?" All Might took me by the shoulders and held me out in front of him, looking down.

"Now there are people without quirks that know that they can be heroes in their own way. You proved that by successfully defeating most of the League by yourself, without my help. I only took care of one problem." He chuckled at my surprised expression and continued, a genuine smile gracing his face, reaching his tired, blue eyes.

"I was going to fizzle out one day, anyway. I have an apprentice, and I'm older now, much less of a hero than I used to be before. I'm a hero, but I'm still human. Yet you, a person that doesn't possess a quirk, going against the rules and proving that you don't need one to be strong -- to be a hero. You've proven to people all over the world that they can be strong on their own, without me here to protect them.

"I can sympathize with you in many ways, Young (L/N), and I know sometimes it can feel lonely. It can feel like your whole world is crashing down, but you have to look to the people that are with you and continue to strive. You have to learn more about yourself in order to truly understand what you are lacking, in order to improve it.