XVIII

I hurled myself towards the villain, getting a good kick in before I landed, making him aware of my presence. I narrowed my eyes and looked at his noseless glory, glancing at everyone around me, Todoroki, Iida, and Midoriya.

"I'm here, Midoriya. I came to help everyone." My voice was absolutely dripping with determination, eyes reflecting the glare of the street light, hands clenched as I drew my weapon. Stain growled and started to look at me with a deathly stare.

"Oh, another friend? Just more fun." He started to advance, his sword dancing in the air, swinging back and forth, the jagged metal blade spiked, with ridges and scratches all over. Hopping into a starting stance, I gripped the hilt of my staff tightly and looked forwards, deflecting the attack and moving back, hitting metal against metal again and again.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there?" I roared to my classmates. "Do something!" They finally snapped out of a trance, but didn't move. I grunted in frustration and stepped back, standing face to face with the villain.

"We can't move!" Izuku called, voice straining, green eyes darting desperately to my figure. "He paralyzed us! Whatever you do, do not get blood on his blades!" I nodded at the advice, feeling my muscles tense as Stain's blade whizzed past my figure.

"Came here to save your friends, or to find me?" The villain's voice rang through my ears. I couldn't process any words before something sprang out of my mouth subconsciously.

"I knew that people were in danger. So that's why I came." 

"My, you didn't even take the time to think about your answer." He pulled out a pocketknife and threw it my way. I dodged, narrowly avoiding the attack. I felt a cut form on my skin, cursing mentally. I can't let him get to his throwing knife.

"Did anyone tell you that you kind of look like that bad guy from the Hori Patter books?" I teased, grabbing the weapon while he was dazed. "You both have no noses, right?" Stain grumbled and narrowed his eyes.

"Fool." He licked his finger. I felt everything in my body freeze as I almost landed on the knife I was holding. Stain smiled maliciously and chuckled. "Too bad you're out of condition." I collapsed onto the ground, leaning my back against a wall.

He walked calmly towards me, picking up the dagger in my hand, shoving it back into its sheath. 

"Society is purged with heroes that don't work to get everything. They yearn for more money, or power, completely destroying the ideals that we once held dear. Being a hero is now a profession in which people can benefit off of. All Might is the only one who is sane, who keeps those ideals or being a hero, he's the only one worthy of killing me!" I watched as he grabbed his sword, bringing it up to my neck, tongue hanging out of his mouth.

"Tell me a good reason why I should keep you alive." I didn't flinch under the steel eyes of the anti-hero. 

"I know what you think. I know that heroes aren't good. They aren't, but they're human. Humans have flaws. Everyone makes mistakes. Even... even I do. I don't know how, but somehow the universe gave me a golden opportunity to finally become a hero. I was excited. For myself. But it's not the reason why I wanted to become a hero." Stain was inclined, I could tell, but he didn't lower his blade. I gulped, my skin narrowly touching the shining silver metal.

"I'm quirkless. Everyone knows that, by now, or have suspicions about the matter. I don't want to be weak. I want to prove to everyone that I can be someone that they can look up to. I want to prove that the quirkless aren't weak, and people can finally feel safe when I'm around. I don't want any money, or fame, or power. I just don't want people to feel like they're in danger whenever a villain is around. If my presence alone can guarantee them safety, I sure am not going to die like this. I want to protect people, and you aren't going to make that not happen." My eyes burned with a passion, the red eyes of Stain becoming more and more amused. He lowered his blade, to my surprise.