Chapter 16: Vunerable

"I meant to tell you!" Ivan scoffed
"It should as hell didn't seem like fucking it when you were avoiding me!"

What was she supposed to do? Eve knew he was right, but she was all too shook and scared to have to deal with any type of confrontation, specially when telling Ivan about the pregnancy.

"Well so fucking what? I mean you already know I'm pregnant! There's nothing much I can do about it" Ivan threw the papers to the side, spreading them across the bed.

"You seriously don't understand it, do you? You went OUT THERE TO AN OPEN FIRE KNOWING FULLY WELL YOU'RE PREGNANT"

"Pregnant or not I'm still the Archangel. I have responsibilities here, I can't just drop them cause you couldn't be bothered to use a condom that actually WORKED"

Clouded by anger, the Spanish boy couldn't even think straight, did she really meant what she was saying? Every muscle in him tensed and progressively, the veins in his arms popped, becoming quite visible.

"So you're just gonna kill our baby, and very much likely yourself, just cause you have responsibilities?"

"Not quite exactly, but hey, now you're getting the picture" Ivan grabbed her arm when she tried to leave the room.
"I'm not letting you do that, I have a saying in this and I'm not putting either of you in danger" She stared at him right in the eye, his words didn't seem to disturb her in any way, shape or form.

Eve jerked her arm away from the boy's grasp "You kinda forget a important detail. I fucking rule you over, so I can easily suspend you"

"Please Eve, we both know I can go to my mother and the council to tell them you're pregnant. I'm sure they'll have a lot to say"

Fear flashed in her eyes, specially when she noticed how dead serious he wat talking, she gulped "You wouldn't dare-"

Ivan flashed a devilish grin "Wanna bet on that? I may hate my mother with a burning passion but she'll do anything for her grandchild"

The girl tried to push him off, but his strong build body didn't allow her to do much "why do you even care so much?" She questioned him quietly and Ivan's heart instantly shattered into a million pieces.

Is that why she was acting like this? Because she thought he wouldn't care? But the real question in the boy's mind was...

How could he not care about his own child? What kind of person... god what kind of parent would he be if he truly didn't care?

Tears wildly cornered in his eyes, begging to break lose as the burning sensation came over him, only a tear managed to escape.

"What... makes you think even for a second I don't care?" He choked in his own words, having a really hard time talking through the sense of betrayal.

Genevieve didn't say anything, she was already hurting him and she didn't wanna do that anymore. There was no way of explaining her thoughts without getting him hurt.

But at least she had to try "Take a look around you, Ivan! I don't know anything! Everything's just a fucking wild guess here, so excuse me if I didn't know if my criminal baby daddy truly cared!"

Immediate silence fell and the Spanish boy's face showed something that made chills run down the Archangel's spine.
No explanation could really be given, to what she saw in him at that very moment, it was something dark, broken even.

That was a point of no return, something that would truly change the relationship, because that, was the very first time, Ivan Martinez experienced disappointment in its purest, and deepest form of expression.

By the one person he loved the most.

"That's it, huh? I'm just a fucking delinquent to you? That's just... fucking amazing" he spat those words with resentment, poison and anger.

"When are you gonna understand I couldn't care less about you being a fucking criminal?"
"Then what the fuck is it?!" He was losing his patience, little by little.

"I DON'T WANT THIS LIFE FOR MY KID" she exclaimed at the verge of insanity "What kind of life are we gonna give to this person Ivan? How are we gonna explain all this, to a fucking infant?" Silence fell as the undeniable truth was brought to life.

All the fears, uncertainties, all those things Eve was scared to admit to herself, most importantly, scared to say out loud, those finally saw the surface, just as a sewer.

Whatsoever, the girl didn't felt relieved, nothing even remotely similar to that. In fact, it was the complete opposite.

To put in one way, Eve felt the most vulnerable she ever did in her entire life "Do you really wanna raise a baby in the middle of all this?".

No. Of course he didn't, he wanted his child to have a normal life, not like the one he had, he wanted to give this little baby boy or girl all that he couldn't have, those things that were taken away from him.

"You say I don't understand the danger I'm putting myself in but YOU are the one that doesn't understand in what type of danger we're putting this kid in. I don't care if you're one of the most wanted criminals in history, what I do care about it's the fact that they're gonna use our baby against us"

Finally the boy sighed, becoming more calm and not wanting anything else but this fight to be over.

"We'll figure it out! Babe that's what normal couples do and yes. I'm very well aware we're too far from normal and this may not be an ideal situation but we can and we will work it out"

It would be a lie to say those words weren't an ease to her nerve racked mind set, Ivan stepped forward in front of Eve and softly cupped her cheeks, making the girl look up at him.
Something deep and indescribable could be seen in his ocean eyes.
"But please don't ever think I don't want this baby or you 'cause it's the complete opposite of what I want".

He enclosed his arms around Eve's fragile figure unexpectedly, his hands landing on the girl's upper back.
She corresponded the gesture by placing her hands on either side of his chest, lastly resting her head on his collarbone.

Such embrace felt welcoming, warm and loving, there was so much layers underneath that simple gesture it was hard to explain it all.

"Please Genevieve, I'm begging you. For the sake of my sanity, don't put yourself in more danger" There was a non spoken affliction in his tone, the whole atmosphere was grabbed around the boy's distress.

Eve's heart felt heavy as she realized how much he truly cared, she couldn't help but think of all the people out there that were wrong about him.

He wasn't heartless, he was hurt, fragile and vulnerable even. Ivan was a boy, who was lead to believe and follow the wrong path.
But a part of him, a very secretive side of him, worried and loved people, throughout his life there were many disappointments, every time he was let down, he would move forward.
Although that never meant he didn't care, the "criminal" was just someone who was scared.

That's the thing about society's standards, when you take out all those labels the very on society relayed on him.

The crimes, the calculative mind set, and you see through that mask of blank expression, what you get is a solitaire, broken teenager who so badly wants to do things right but is scared of what everyone could think.

Who could really blame him? All that society had done for him all his life was scrutinize him, giving people a certain impression of who he was, just because he grew up in an environment he didn't even chose, much less be a part of.