Chapter 20: Bed Of Lies

"What? No!" She refused as she laid on the bed, Ivan held her hand as they both looked at the doctor.
"With all due respect Archangel. You put yourself in too much danger when I specified you not to do so. The best alternative to ensure the kid's life at this point is to sedate you at least for 3 hours so the contractions stop, otherwise this baby is not gonna make it through the day"
The pair stayed silent for a minute, contemplating such and serious statement.

"Can you give us a minute?" The doctor nodded as he left the room and closed the door behind him.
"Don't you dare" he sighed
"Eve, you have to do this"
"No! Ivan it's three fucking hours, what if something happens again? I need to be here-"
"For fuck's sake Genevieve you almost fell to the fucking ground out of contractions! You're 5 months in, I'm surprised you didn't start bleeding right there" he grumbled as he ran his fingers through his hair, trying to let out his frustration in any way.

It was true indeed, she remembered the pain and the fear of losing the baby right there. She understood Ivan's position; they had already lost too much and this baby was the only thing they could still hold onto.

"If something happens I'll take care of it but we can keep doing this to the baby anymore. They said seventy-two hours we only had three and we are literally so close of losing this kid for good"
Contemplating the options she knew Ivan was full of truth and she hated it. She hated it because she thought of those three hours, so many things could go wrong in that short amount of time, but in a certain point she also thought of her responsibilities as a mother, she could not let the baby die. Specially if she could do anything to prevent that from happening.

"Let's do it" She said

Ivan nuzzled Eve's hair, in an attempt to ease her nerves. He rubbed her belly and decided this would be a perfect moment to have a minute for the three of them. He hugged Genevieve and she hid her face in the crook of his neck. He took a deep breath trying to overcome his own anxiety.

"Hi baby" he said quietly as he did not think through what he should say or do in such intimate moment with his child "So you and mom are gonna take a little nap, okay? I promise you have nothing to worry about. Just focus on getting better and take care of your mom for me" there was a slight twitch inside and even when it was not spoken, both young parents knew their kid got the message.

The needle pierced inside the thin layers of her skin, metal reaching the vein not long after, she felt the liquid run through her veins, invading her whole system as her body relaxed little by little.
Last thing she managed to see was Ivan's blue orbs staring at her, saying something she did not quite understand, the sound of his voice fading in as the drug did its work.

Ivan stepped outside to the balcony of his room, a pack of cigarettes in his hand, he opened the small box and pulled one of them out to place it in between his teeth. He lighted it up and took a strong puff out of it. His shoulders fell, letting go of all the tension he was accumulating recently.
It had been so long since he had smoked a cigarette for the last time, at least it felt like it. The bitter taste of the nicotine invading his senses.

"Since when do you smoke?" Emilio asked from behind him, he held onto his smile as he continued to smoke. He looked over at the older twin by the corner of his eye, blowing the smoke out his mouth into the sky.

"I don't do it often if that's what you you're worried about"
"Well when do you do it?" He shrugged
"Mostly when I need a break from whatever bullshit goes on here"
"Well what's the bullshit that brought you here now?" He looked at the sky and smiled sadly

"For starters my best friend died and I couldn't do anything about it cause I was caught up in the fact that I almost lost my kid whom right as we speak is basically fighting between life or death. My older sister kidnapped me and my mother wants to use my kid to ensure the legacy of this big ass joke which means he or she goes through the same bullshit I did"