7. The Dance

For some reason I have't brung myself to speak to my friends again, and they haven't made a move to speak to me. Maybe they're afraid to approach me now - everyone seems to be since I started sitting with the Cullens. Emmett seems to be my favourite person ever, after Reggie and Alice, and Jasper creeps me out; I mean, I know he doesn't do it intentionally - I think - but he has this... look. And he barely says anything when I'm around. I know he and Alice are close, but he seems protective; maybe that's just it, he's being protective, sussing me out.

Speaking of Alice. I have no idea what we are or where we are. We hang out all the time, either at my place or in the library. I went to her house once, met her mom Esme - such a generous woman - and obviously the rest of her brothers. But we seem to be... stuck. She doesn't like to hold hands, we rarely sit close to one and other, yet I still want to be near her. Even if she doesn't want me physically near her, I know she wants me emotionally and mentally near her. We click. Zing. We get each other like no others get us.

Tonight is the dance, and the last day of March, and the last day of school before spring break. There's a buzz around the school about the dance tonight, which many girls talking about skipping their last 2 periods in order to get ready. I roll my eyes a little as I stack my books in my locker and close it. I see Parker looking my way with a torn expression, and it seems like for a moment he decides to approach me, until the mammoth of a man Emmett bounds over.

"Wassup, Thumbelina." He grins.

"Emmett, I'm the same size as your sister." I roll my eyes.

He shrugs. "You're all short to me. I've been told to pick you up at 7, is that okay?"

I shrug this time. "Whatever. All I gotta do is throw my dress on and a bit of makeup."

"Um..."

"Emmett. Thats all I gotta do, right?" I grit my teeth.

"Rose... naa, you'll find out later. See ya, Thumbelina!" He calls laughing.

I groan and kick my logger in annoyance, hanging my head as I walk to the library. Alice sits waiting for me and as I sit down she raises an eyebrow. "What's the matter, crabby cake?"

"Whatever Rose or you have planned is not happening." I say as I point at her.

She holds her hands up in defence. "It's nothing to do with me... your mom called Esme and she is gonna help your mom get you ready. They wanted it to be a surprise."

Awh... that is kinda sweet... but I cannot let her know. "Great. There goes my plans for watching Harry Potter." I mumble.

Alice giggles, seeing right through me. "That's the spirit... I think someone wants to talk to you." She says, nodding over my shoulder. I glance over and see Parker hanging back, looking like a deer caught in headlights. "I'm gonna go find a new book." Alice says with a smirk as she skips away.

Once she's gone Parker approaches and sits in her empty seat. "Hey..."

"Hi."

He plays with his bag strap. "I hope you aren't still made at me..."

I sigh small. "I was never mad at you, I was a little peeved off at Ceece. AJ has a thing for her so of course he jumps on her every word, but usually you are so supportive. What do you have against the Cullens?"

"Nothing!" He shakes his head seriously. "I... I'm... I guess I'm just a little worried about you. Last time you made a new friend you - well you became a bit of a junkie. You hurt yourself and others around you. I know I shouldn't judge the Cullens by the rumours, but I know nothing about them. I'm just worried I'll almost lose you again." He whispers, his eyes wide with various emotion.