39. The Threat

I stare at Alice, more angry than relieved. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I snarl.

She looks shocked and confused. "I'm sorry, whats-"

"You decide to come back and do all that I love you shit after ignoring me for 3 weeks? You broke the kids hearts! And today of all days you decide to show up at the end of the day? Nicely done, Alice! Well fucking done!" I clap sarcastically as I glare at her.

"I needed some space." She says calmly. "I needed to think and figure it out."

"And I didn't!? Lorenzo cried for you as he came round from his surgery, all he wanted was a mama hug. And I had to sit and tell Lily about why we left. I had to face our family without you, and here you stand saying you needed space? Go. Come back tomorrow, you're not ruining their Christmas."

"You can't make me leave." Alice scoffs. "You wanted me back."

"Three weeks ago I did. Now I'm just pissed at your always excellent timing!"

Rosalie comes over. "Wow, really Alice? Now?"

"Butt out of this Rosalie." Alice snaps.

"No! How could you leave everyone like that with no contact!?" She yells. "How could you leave those amazing children-"

"Don't use my own children against me." Alice snarls. "I was finding a way to fix this mess!"

"And again were back to making decisions alone." I laugh coldly and begin to walk away.

She's behind me in a second and grabs my arm, spinning me around; our faces are inches apart. "I'm. Not. Done." She growls.

"Well I am." I retort and push her back.

Alice growls and begins to push me. Eventually we end up clawing at each other, trying to hurt one another despite it being an impossible act. Eventually we're pulled apart - poor Jasper may have been bitten by me there - and I finally hear Lorenzo crying and Lily screaming for us to stop and I break away from Jasper, running to them.

"I'm sorry you saw that, I'm sorry." I say as I pull Lily close and reach for Lenzy. Esme hesitates but I shake my head. "I'm in control. I swear." I reassure and she hands him to me almost reluctantly. Lils clings to me as Lenzy rubs his eyes, his cries slowing.

"Let me see them." Alice demands trying to push past her brothers.

"Alice, this isn't the time-" Edward tries to say but Alice pushes through. She looks at Lily and Lenzy, both so frightened in my arms, and her eyes soften. "Hi babies.. Its just me."

Lily takes a shaky breath. "Why bother c-coming b-back now?" She whispers.

Alice's eyes flash with hurt again. "I had something important to sort-"

"More important than us? Than your son who was in hospital?" She whispers tearful.

I kiss her head and rub her back. "Take your brother inside, okay? Get ready for bed and choose a movie." I hand her Lenzy and she nods, slowly headed inside. I turn to Alice. "I said not today for a reason, Alice - they're fragile. They're exhausted and hurt and overwhelmed. If you wanted to come back, you could've chose any day but today. So you can go, stay, whatever, just leave them alone. Stay away otherwise I won't hesitate." I threaten before walking inside. How has it come to this?

-

" 'I am a dog, as keen as can be, is there room on a broom for a dog like me?' " I say softly to Lenzy as he drinks his bottle of milk. "'Yes!' cried the witch and the dog cambered on. The witch tapped the broomstick and whoosh they were gone."