48. The First Of A Kind

Wei and I keep our heads down as we walk quickly to meet Edward. He waits, sheltered from the rain by some forest area just outside down and instantly rushes over when he sees me, hugging me tight. I hug back for a moment. "We can't stop. Go back to the others and get them ready. I'll explain it all once I know what's happening, okay? Hug my babies for me." I kiss his cheek.

He holds me close for a moment and glances at Wei. "You'll be safe?"

I nod and smile as I pull away. "Promise. Go, please."

He sighs and nods, disappearing moments later as Wei and I head into the trees. "Here's good." She says as we find a small clearing. I stop walking and watch what she does; she sets a few sticks in a small pile in the centre of a circle she draws with a stick in the dirt, her white eyes turning a golden colour as she begins to whisper something in Latin. I watch closely as a fire slowly ignites, the flames black instead of orange.. Creepy...

"His spirit is thousands of miles away. If I transport us you have to do everything I say not a single thing can go wrong or we'll both burst into flames." She warns as she straightens up and holds her hands out. "Okay?"

I nod once and step closer, taking her hands and holding them in mine over the black flames. I look into her eyes as they darken, turning black. "Don't look away. Do not let go. Do. Not. Move." She warns.

I nod once and keep looking into her eyes, gripping her hands in mine. I hold my breath as she slowly closes her eyes and mutters under her breath, the ground seemingly disappearing from beneath our feet. I resist every urge to look, keeping my gaze in her closed eyes.

Nothing seems to happen until the flames surround us, swirling like a tornado of heat. Isn't fire the one thing that can destroy me? That's not terrifying at all. I grip her hands a little tighter and try to keep still at the spinning sensation around us - okay, someone lied about this vampire shit. I feel sick at the motion of it, the sickness you feel when you've been on a roller-coaster with too many loops and turns.

Her eyes open again and look deep into mine before everything stills and we stand on snowy ground, the fire burning small between us again. She slowly let's go and I exhale deeply, stepping back. "That's... Intense." I finally manage to say.

"It's more fun alone." She says as she pushes her hat back on her head in a straighter manner, buttoning her coat up after. "He's about a mile away, in the mountains."

I nod and we begin to walk, neither of us speaking for a few minutes. "How long have you been a vampire?" She asks.

"About 14 years. Alice changed me just after our wedding, when we lost our baby." I say, a sadness to my voice.

"I'm sorry... Alice mentioned he has a lot to pay for, so I assume it was down to Aro?" She glances at me.

"Partly, yes. But also my daughters mate - that's hard to look past but she makes her happy so I can't turn her away." I look at the white snow beneath my booths, crunching as I make my steps heavy and slow, deep down dreading what Amadeus will say.

"That's a sticky situation." Wei laughs a little. "I don't have any family left." She admits. "My last relative died about 100 years ago."

"I'm sorry, that must suck. My parents and siblings think I'm dead, it's harder having them alive than it would be if they're dead."

"Do you ever wish you could go back in time?"

I nod a little. "Sorta . You can, though, so why don't you?"

She shakes her head. "No, I can freeze a moment in time and save it - for example, my granddaughters home which I now reside in. A few memories from my childhood. But I can't go back. I can only relive."